This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control rebuild

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

The ONLY place to get a new screen is from a CaseIH dealer. There is no cheaper alternative, no ebay aftermarket parts... You either suck it up and pay the long buck, or go without and potentially ruin all your hard work.

Most every CaseIH dealer offers online ordering and ships nowadays, but Carter & Greunwald is a site sponsor and their parts man Ken Updike is a pretty prominent IH historian and author in the antique tractor world.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

How long would you esitmate it would take from start to finish for a First Time rebuilder? I'm sure the process goes alot faster once you've done a couple.

Bill Hudson wrote:One word of caution on the TC rebuild, get the rebuild kit, take the TC apart, clean it up, reassemble. Don't take too long between disassembly and reassembly. Trust me on that. I waited two weeks to reassemble my first one, what a mistake. It was like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Now I do the whole job in one session --- much simpler!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 pm

We did one at my first Cubfest (first one for either of us). It took about 4 hours from the time we got it off the tractor. About 45 minutes was spent cleaning it off before we opened it up. All we had then was the parts drawing, with the "How to's" on the Forum now, it should take less time.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 pm

So.....2 days (a weekend) from start to finish sounds conservative. I have a few that need a rebuild and really want to try it, but it's intimidating. Thanks Bob!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

jamieei
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30641
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
144 cultivators, 42" woods belly mower, duplex planters and sidedresser
1949 M
Two row mounted cultivators, side dressers, 3 pt, lambert double disk brakes
1946 A
cultivators, B motor

Postby jamieei » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 pm

the most intimidating part is actually getting it cleaned up and keeping things clean. pull out a part, clean it, replace the o ring and put aside til the bore is clean, reinstall. mine actually sat for nearly a year before I reassembled and I only had a parts diagram to go by. wasn't difficult still.

minderbinder3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75754

Postby minderbinder3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Update= I finished the pump rebuild last night. It went pretty easy with the detailed pictures and instructions found here. No thanks to the terrible xerox copy of instructions that came with the rebuild kit. Also, special thanks to Mr. Wilkerson who stopped by to purchase my old 193 plow and advised me that the top nut and lock washer to my pump where probably in my crank case since they were not on the unit when I pulled it. Thus my hydraulic leak problems! He was correct and now I ordered an oil pan seal and finally bit the bullet and ordered for the touch control oil strainer (ouch!). I plan on changing the spark plugs, oil filter, and oil. What else would you all suggest since I have it all apart?
'49 Cub- a little rough on the outside but silky smooth on the inside

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Complete Restoration?? :D
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

minderbinder3 wrote:Update= I finished the pump rebuild last night. It went pretty easy with the detailed pictures and instructions found here. No thanks to the terrible xerox copy of instructions that came with the rebuild kit. Also, special thanks to Mr. Wilkerson who stopped by to purchase my old 193 plow and advised me that the top nut and lock washer to my pump where probably in my crank case since they were not on the unit when I pulled it. Thus my hydraulic leak problems! He was correct and now I ordered an oil pan seal and finally bit the bullet and ordered for the touch control oil strainer (ouch!). I plan on changing the spark plugs, oil filter, and oil. What else would you all suggest since I have it all apart?

You are only one hour further away than I am from Sneads, FL and the DSCF (Deep South Cub Fest) happening in a couple weeks. Just bring that Touch Control right on over and we will get it rebuilt in no time!!! :{_}:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

minderbinder3
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby minderbinder3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm

All done with that project. Thanks for all the advice it went smoother than I expected. The Cub runs like new and the Touch Control is smooth and steady. The only minor problems I had were those 3 back bolts on the oil pan and somewhere during cleaning process the rod that attaches to the hydraulic control got out of align and caused some unnecessary torque on the lever. I caught it early and made the adjustment but it made me nervous at first because it caused bouncing in the lower positions which made me think I did something wrong inside the TC.

Next up will be the front steering.

minderbinder3
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby minderbinder3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Well, it looks as if I will be doing this again. I have noticed some fluid leakage from around the arm/boot area...no big deal I just replenish the TC when needed. However, now I have the hydro fluid back in my crank case. My guess is that the washer I had to retrieve last time from the oil pan has come off again. I was hoping to make it until winter because I need the Cub to mow with pretty regularly, but looks like I will be in the shop soon with her apart.

Last time I rebuilt the TC I really did not mess with the arm/boot area too much other than cleaning the years of sludge away from the seals. Is there a separate rebuild for that area? Or...does anybody sell rebuilt TC's?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

There are o rings on the pistons that move in and out through the leather sleeves. If you didn't replace those during the first rebuild, you'll probably need to do it now. I would be surprised if the lock washer and nut came off the pump this soon unless it was incorrectly installed. I'd pull the pump and carefully check the shaft to make sure there are no wear grooves or nicks that would have caused the new o ring (or seal) to leak. If you have a manual lift lever, you could always reinstall that to use when mowing while you do the rebuild.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

minderbinder3
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby minderbinder3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a manual lift lever? I assume it would take the place of hydraulic lift and would allow me to raise and lower the mower deck. Is it something I make or something I can purchase?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:47 pm

The manual lift was an IH part for those tractors without hydraulics. Does the same job, just takes arm strength. A post in the "wanted forum" may find you one close by.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Ditto to what Bob said about the washer and checking the shaft for a grove or nicks. The washer does not seal anything. The O-rings on the pump shaft are leaking again.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”