This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head Cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Head Cleaning

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi All - I'm sandblasting the top of my FCub head only. What technique do ya'll use to properly clean the working part of the head?

Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Re: Head Cleaning

Postby gusbratz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm

i have always used a wire wheel for the head and most parts for that matter, also the crowns of the pistons even though i have been told not to. i use an old broken piston ring sharpened to clean out the ring grooves. follow everything up with some brown scoth brite with some citrus degreaser or solvent and you will have nice clean parts. :{_}:

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I was taught in Auto Trade School (many decades ago) to scrape the carbon off of pistons and heads. Wire wheels or sandblasting as discussed earlier can create a texture that carbon will cling to causing build up in the future. That being said, yeah, I use a wire brush or wire wheel. :oops: There are also many liquids that will dissolve carbon, like Sea Foam. I don't know well that would work but if you have something like that, it might be worth trying it out. The mating surface should also be scraped clean. If you are having the block bored, take the head to the shop too. A good shop will deck the head and boil it out with the block.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:22 pm

I have a cracked head that I am going to experiment with and put it in my electrolysis tank :idea: :) And if I can find a really badly stuck C-60, I am going to try that to :!:

Probably the easiest way for sure is to use a good twisted wire cup brush in a hand held grinder.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Rudi wrote:And if I can find a really badly stuck C-60, I am going to try that to :!:

I have the block for you !

Now, getting it to you may be a problem. I live about 1 hour from Cecil. I think you live somewhere above the Arctic Circle :lol: .

Water got into the number 2 cylinder through the exhaust port. This engine was part of a tractor sitting in a back corner of a field for a few years with an uncovered exhaust pipe. Maybe it is too far gone for what you want to try.
Paul Van Benschoten

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Paul:

Paul Van Benschoten wrote:
Rudi wrote:And if I can find a really badly stuck C-60, I am going to try that to :!:

I have the block for you !

Now, getting it to you may be a problem. I live about 1 hour from Cecil. I think you live somewhere above the Arctic Circle :lol: .

Water got into the number 2 cylinder through the exhaust port. This engine was part of a tractor sitting in a back corner of a field for a few years with an uncovered exhaust pipe. Maybe it is too far gone for what you want to try.

Em and I will be at Cecil's in October :wink:

And yes I used to live above the Arctic Circle a long time ago ... back when I was in the Navy -- CFS Inuvik and CFS Alert. Now I just live about 2 hours from Calais or 5 from Bangor.

More for an experiment to see if the tank will free it up. Be fun to try anyways. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.... :D So will you be at Cecil's in the fall :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Rudi wrote:So will you be at Cecil's in the fall :?:

I do plan on being there, but I have planned on being there the last couple of times and did not make it. If you are really interested, I will make sure it gets to Cecil's if I am not going to be there this fall. That is assuming that Cecil doesn't mind me dropping off some trash valuable tractor parts in his yard.
Paul Van Benschoten

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:20 pm

I have always used a paint scraper to good effect You just have to be careful to hold the end flat and not dig in a corner of the blade and score the surface.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Think I still have a wire-wheeled one (on top), and hand scraped with a brass scraper on the flat in the shed. You're welcome to it, Ken. Might have a micro-crack on the top, I don't recall which one was good and which one was bad. Looks OK though.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”