This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Prestolite points

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
snowdad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37150

Prestolite points

Postby snowdad » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I went and bought a set of points for my Super A 1953 model SN#342*** and they won't fit. The distributor is not the typical Delco, but a Prestolite and takes the 1 piece set of points not the normal 2 piece. Anybody have a NAPA number for these prestolite points? Thanks
Phillip

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Prestolite points

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm

for NAPA try ECH CS729A
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

snowdad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snowdad » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks John. You are being a really big help. I can't get it to run at all. Will fire one time on 2 or 3 cylinders then nothing. I have replaced the coil, condenser, new carb gasket, cleaned carb, cleaned and gapped the plugs, new rotor, new plug wires, new battery and cables, set all valves at .014, and set the distributor on TDC with #1 on compression as well as rotated the distributor counterclockwise up to 30 degrees. I know it is getting fire at the number 1 plug as it somehow knocked the fire out of me last night! I thought those pliars were insluated. The points are the only thing left. Very discouraging as I missed an event in town over the weekend that I have been spending a lot of 12 hour days getting it back together from the restoration and painting and still missed the event.

Phillip

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am

Have you pulled a spark plug, put the wire back on it, and held it to the engine block while cranking, to see if you get a good reliable spark?

Are the plugs wet when you pull them after trying to start the engine?

Nice thing about the C113 engine is you can shine a light down the #1 hole and visibly find TDC. Hold your thumb over the hole and crank slowly until air whooshes hard, then look in and roll it with the fan blade to find where the piston is at its highest point.

#1 cylinder is the FRONT cylinder, BTW. Sometimes that's not exactly clear.

snowdad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snowdad » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Matt,
Yes it has fire. It knocked the fire out of me doing this! Those pliars had a hole in the grip cover. Anyway, I replaced the points, cleaned and regapped the plugs to .025 and she finally fired. I am thinking it was the points. That and a piece of paper towel that was blown out the exhaust. I had put paper towels in each port when I removed the manifold to keep anything from getting inside. I drove it from the house to the shop and back and found I have a major gear oil leak from the cross axle housing on the right side underneath the brake. It looks like the inner axle seal at the side of the transmission housing that the long axle shaft enters to engage with the differential is messed up for some reason. I replaced all seals in this tractor so don't know what it could be. Very aggravating that I have to break it down again. At least it runs now. And it runs like a top. It cranks better than anything I have so far! One bump of the starter and it is running. So much for cranking problems with 6 volts. Excellent oil pressure and the generator is charging. I hope to update my original thread with pics pretty soon.

Phillip

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Check the transmission for water or over-filling. Check the Owner's Manual for capacity. If you find water... drain, flush and refill.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”