This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator problems

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71104

Generator problems

Postby Scioux » Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am

The battery on our Farmall 100 regularly goes dead. Usually I jump start it and it runs OK. Recently, it stopped running after a a few minutes. I would jump it again, and it would run fine a few minutes and stop. Any ideas? The engine was recently overhauled, and I suspect that the generator is not charging properly -- the ammeter shows a discharge, although I don't know how reliable it is. Should I just go ahead and replace it, along with the regulator? The generator is probably the original. Or if not, it's at least 40 years old.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Generator problems

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

First thing to do is polarize the generator. Ddo this with engine not running take a short piece of wire and momentarily jump from the bat term to the gen term of the regulator. Do NOt jump to the field. If that does not solve it try this trouble shooting chart.
diagram compliments of Farmall Bob.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scioux » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks. I studied polarity yesterday, and that could well be the problem, since I disconnected the positive lead on the battery the last time I used the tractor. (Although I've done that before without this happening.)

I'm kind of leaning toward just replacing the generator & regulator and be done with it, since these parts are so old.
Very glad to have found this forum, as my mechanical knowledge is pretty limited.

Since the tractor ran fine after being jumped -- for a few minutes -- and the ammeter showed a discharge, I'm thinking the problem has to be the charging system. Does that seem right?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

yes it does.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

Your biggest problem right now is that the tractor will not run with a flat dead battery. Right now it's only running on the brief charge it's getting from the jump start.

Put the battery on the charger overnight, up to 24 hours even, and it will start and run like it should. Then you can tackle the generator/regulator problem.

Look up "JohnT generator troubleshooting procedure" on google. It's a simple, succinct process for figuring out exactly what's wrong, and what exactly needs replacing. Unless you have $$$ to burn, and want to waste it on the "parts shotgun" method of fixing the problem....

Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scioux » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:49 am

The new generator & regulator seem to be working, but now I have a problem with the fan assembly, which I discovered after several hours of mowing. It seems to be wobbling on its shaft, and the metal around the generator pulley is beginning to shred. Did I maybe have the belt too tight? It looks as though I will need to replace it, although that sure is a tight space to have to work in.

I will attach a photo as soon as I figure out how.

Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scioux » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 pm

this is the fan assembly.
Attachments
Fan Asmbly.JPG
Fan Asmbly.JPG (132.98 KiB) Viewed 878 times

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 am

Yep....looks like you're gonna have to get in there and replace it. Easiest when you take the front nose piece (grill housing) off, then remove the radiator. Take about 10 minutes to get to.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scioux » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 am

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for when I do this? It feels like I've started pulling on a thread that is going to keep on unraveling. And I am no mechanic.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”