This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine break-in & oil pressure

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17350

Engine break-in & oil pressure

Postby A/C guy » Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 am

I just had my 154 engine rebuilt. Dropped the engine in and am now in the process of reconnection everything. How much oil pressure should I expect at fast idle/higher speed? Any thoughts on break-in? I was thinking of a couple of short runs (5 min.) with cool down between each, then 60 min. of light load moderate speed and gradually working up to full speed/load. Also plan to change oil and filter after the first 30-60 min.

Thanks to all in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine break-in & oil pressure

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue May 21, 2013 6:12 am

You should expect 30 psi, or so at a fast idle. On break in, during the first few minutes, I vary the rpm not letting it run a a constant speed for more than a minute or two without changing it up or down. If everything is looking good, I run it till fully warm. About 90% of ring seating will occur during the first 10 mins. Let the engine cool and re-torque the head. Run it again, being a little more aggressive. Some time at WOT is good. Do your oil & filter change and put it to work. Modern piston rings break in very quickly and there's no need for any kind of extended break-in period.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 am

Getting up to full heat will take some time (5-10 minutes). Don't work the engine hard during breakin. Puts around and vary the throttle.

If you prime the oil passageways before starting (highly recommended) then pressure should establish within 10-20 seconds of run time.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ghennessy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21034

Postby ghennessy » Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 am

Ensure you have break-in lube or zinc additive for the flat tappet camshaft lobes.

I like to drain my break-in oil "mix" out after the cam break-in or after 2-3 hours of light use. Ensure your working oil is the right weight and add ZDDP (zinc diethyl dialkyl phosphate) as necessary to protect the cam.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 am

ghennessy wrote:. . . add ZDDP (zinc diethyl dialkyl phosphate) as necessary to protect the cam.

"As necessary" for a Cub engine is to add none.

A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby A/C guy » Tue May 21, 2013 7:03 pm

There is a 1/8" plug on the LH side of the block at the very back, just a little higher than the oil pump. Is this the priming port? How much oil should I use to prime?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 21, 2013 7:27 pm

A/C guy wrote:There is a 1/8" plug on the LH side of the block at the very back, just a little higher than the oil pump. Is this the priming port? How much oil should I use to prime?
Yes on a priming port. Easier port in inside the oil filter housing near the top towards front of the engine. Put in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil. Crank engine without starting. When oil starts being pumped into the oil filter housing, pump is primed as well as the entire oil system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby A/C guy » Mon May 27, 2013 5:43 pm

:D

I finished putting everything back together today. Primed the oil pump from the filter housing with a few oz. of oil, then cranked the engine over with ignition disabled. I had good oil flow within a few revolutions.

Static timed the distributor, filled with water and set the idle speed up a little. It started on the first or second revolution and ran fine. Ran for about 7-8 min. until warmed up. After an overnight cool down, I plan to retorque the head, drain the water and fill with antifreeze mix, then drive around for a while at moderate speed and light load.

How long should I wait to change the oil/filter? (I was planning on change after the first hour of run time)

I noticed that the hydraulics didn't work. (sometimes does this for the first minute or two, after not being used for a week or so) I'm thinking I may need to open the pump return line where the short hose connector is located and prime the hydraulic pump with oil. Any thoughts?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 am

A/C guy wrote::How long should I wait to change the oil/filter? (I was planning on change after the first hour of run time)
Just my opinion. I would work the engine/tractor for a couple of hours before changing the oil. Oil filter is only partial flow, I would wait until next full service, oil change.

I noticed that the hydraulics didn't work. (sometimes does this for the first minute or two, after not being used for a week or so) I'm thinking I may need to open the pump return line where the short hose connector is located and prime the hydraulic pump with oil. Any thoughts?
Probably not the hydraulic oil pump. If you haven't done so, drain and replace the hydraulic fluid in the transmission/differential. Also replace the hydraulic filter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby A/C guy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 am

Last evening I drove the tractor for the first time (after rebuild). After I covered about 15", the hydraulics came alive and all is well. (I change the hydraulic/trans oil and filter every two years)

Thanks.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”