This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kub Kutter mower?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Kub Kutter mower?

Postby welderskelter » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 pm

001.jpg
001.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
I bought a 154 and this mower came with it. Cant believe it has ever been used though as it only turns the right direction for a regular tractor and it only turns the blades as fast as the PTO. I dont believe it will ever cut anything at 540 RPMs. Which leads me to believe someone tried to make a 3 pt mower out of a belly mower. See what you think.
Attachments
004.jpg
004.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Kub Kutter mower?

Postby gitractorman » Sat May 18, 2013 5:15 am

I think you're right about someone fabricating a belly mower to work with a 3-point hitch. However, you have an interesting find there. Someone spent some time and looks like they did some nice fabrication work.

The King Kutter mowers "were" built for the Cub (not sure what models, what model you have....) and it's interesting that it is setup to spin at engine speed (Cub and Lo Boy PTO runs at engine speed). The blade cutting direction is a different problem, and I think an easy one.

I think I'd have to get it hooked up and give her a try. Double check the rotation, and the blades (make sure the blades are not on upside down). I would not be surprised to find that it actually spins the correct direction for the Cub PTO. However, you can always find a source for blades if you need left hand blades instead of right hand blades (or whatever the case may be). I'd start looking at Woods blades, even if you need to drill out or make a bushing for the spindle bolt, I know they make LH and RH blades for most of their mowers.

Finding a 3-point mower for a Lo Boy or Cub is difficult, as Woods seems to be about the only ones that were ever made in any kind of quantities to survive over time.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat May 18, 2013 7:10 am

You do have me thinking . The gearbox looks simetrically built from front to back. I wonder if it is made to switch from driving from the front to the back of the spindle. Will have to check it out. One reason I havent pursued hooking it up to the pto is I dont have a pto hookup for it and the one on my rotortiller is different.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 pm

gitractorman , I tok the gearbox apart and I am going to be able to make this thing run the right direction after all. So now all I need is an end for the pto to hook up to the tractor. Got any ideas about where?

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

That's cool! I forgot earler. That PTO shaft (well, the 1/2 that's showing) actually looks a whole lot like the one from a fast-hitch Mott mower from a standard Cub or Cub Lo Boy. I had one for a while, and that square shaft looks exactly like what I remember. I only had this one for a short time, and this isn't a great photo, but it sure looks like yours. You might check with the Cub guys to see if this is still available anywhere.

Otherwise, try Hamilton Bob's to see if he has anything. It's going to be tough to find an actual PTO coupler to fit a Cub, but he's you're best bet. Another option may be to buy one of the PTO adapters that slips on the Cub splines then gives you the standard 540 PTO splines. Then you could get a standard PTO coupler from Tractor Supply then have a shaft welded up. I know it's a lot of parts & pieces, but it may be your only bet.

I just grabbed a 154 this weekend as part of a deal (someone owed me some money). It's been fun to play with, but it's already for sale on the classifides section. Nice tractor, I just don't need it.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks for the pic. I like that quick coupler. I am going to Fargo today so will stop at Bearings and Drives to see if they can match that pto with a bushing or something. Thanks Harold

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am

welderskelter wrote:So now all I need is an end for the pto to hook up to the tractor. Got any ideas about where?
Major named catalogs providing tractor and implement parts list complete pto drives shafts and parts for making up ptos. Implement dealerships usually carry parts. You can obtain bars or tubing is various dimensions as well as yokes.

You will have to measure up everything to obtain the correct parts or a complete drive shaft. Having had to replace a pto drive shaft a couple of times - it's probably cheaper to purchase a complete pto shaft than to purchase the individual parts.

All of the yokes will be the standard 6 spline. You can purchase the 6 spline to 10 spline adapter from a Case/IH dealer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Bearings and drives in Fargo couldnt match up the 10 point pto so I will have to check with case int. in Fargo tomorrow.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am

Some others referred to this site when working with PTO equipment. Might want to do some measuring and call them.
http://www.weasler.com/section_home.aspx
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 am

Eugene wrote:All of the yokes will be the standard 6 spline. You can purchase the 6 spline to 10 spline adapter from a Case/IH dealer.
PA-13 was the part number when I purchased the 6 spline to 10 spline adapter - may not be a current number or just a number used by the local Case/IH dealer.

PTO parts suppliers will probably not be able to provide a 10 spline yoke. You will need the adapter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 21, 2013 8:51 am

I believe PA-13 is a Hub City number.

Some Kubota's had the same size PTO. A Kubota dealer may be able to help on some drive parts.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 am

http://www.hubcityinc.com/standard_prod ... rmproducts

Hub City, farm product catalog, part number 0332-00355. Says the adapter if for Cubs and Kubota.
I have an excuse. CRS.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I just sent an email to Hub City. Will let all know how it works out. I checked with Case Int. in Fargo with no success. Well they do have the pulley that fits on the pto that has the tin pulley. For 97 bucks.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Just ordered a bushing from one of hub citys distributors in Fargo for close to 40 dollars that fits inside a 6 point PTO and slips over the 10 point PTO on the cub. Thanks for the help . Harold

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm

This is a King Kutter mower. My mistake. I finally finished it up and it works great. Was able to reassemble the gearbox to run the right direction.. And raised the gearbox to line up the PTO shaft. Only thing I need now is a set of wheels for the front like the back ones. Right now if the ground is rough it can hit the ground. Anybody out there got an extra set? I was going to mount it under the tractor but as good as it works I am glad I went this way. Heres some pics . Thank you for all the help.
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (148.89 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (146.84 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”