This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help mounting mower

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need help mounting mower

Postby welderskelter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 pm

I bought a 154 with a 3 point mower but got it home and called Hamilton Bob to see about a pto shaft and he said that my mower wont work on pto as it turns the wrong direction . I knew the tractor turned the wrong way but was under the influnce that this mower had been used on this tractor. But it wont work. Wife said she would prefer the belly mower anyway. So now I have another job. Oh goody. I need to know how much clearance is the least I can get by with when it is in raised position. This mower I believe says Keen Kutter on it and looks real heavy. Sure hope it fits. Also in the back the best I can tell from looking at pics they just rest on a couple angle irons, right? And these just need to be set so they are in the right height for mowing as they dont move up or down , right? Has anybody had to mount one of these? Harold

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help mounting mower

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Don't give up on the 3 point yet. PTO shafts are available from a number of sources. Adapter from Cub pto to standard is available.

First check the rotation of the blades and their cutting edges when rotating the drive shaft in same direction as Cub PTO.

Cutting blades are available, unsharpened, flat, and with cutting edges on different sides.

It's gonna be a problem changing from 3-point to belly mower. Just guessing, not worth the effort or expense since you will need the mule drive, mounting hard ware, pulleys, belt, and perhaps more.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 am

There were some 3-Point mowers for these tractors. Woods made an RM59 that handled the PTO uniqueness.
The PTO turns about 2000 RPM (not the standard 540 RPM) as well.
I would check it out first as suggested above before putting money down.

If you find that the mower is a 3-point standard 540 RPM, then you also might consider a gearbox that converts the tractor to a 540 PTO. Hub City built a PTO Reducer/Reverser, but these are quite expensive if you can find one on ebay or elsewhere.

If you want an underbelly mower, I would suggest buying one already setup for your tractor. International had some made (3160, 3160A, 3250) and Woods has made some as well.

Know your options before you buy.
Last edited by outdoors4evr on Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am

I understand the concern about getting this thing mounted. I am a welder/ fitter. I work at a place that builds 48 row corn planters and 125 ft. belt conveyors. I believe I do have the ability and the parts to do this I just thought I could get some info as to how much lift I needed here and whether the angles going to the back were bolted at a fixed position or not. Thanks Harold

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm not sure of the mower you are using, but others belly mounted on the numbered series Cubs don't have much room for lift. The 48" mowers are worse due to the larger spindle wanting to hit the oil pan. Most all of the mowers are pivoted at the rear, with braces running forward to the deck.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I was going to measure the lift height on my 154 with 3260 mower deck. But thinking about it, the lift mechanism has adjustable stops to limit the lift height and drop. The stops keep the hydraulic piston from jamming the mower deck into the oil pan or bending up the linkage by forcing the deck down.

Suggest asking for individuals e-mail you manuals for various belly mounted mowers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm

welderskelter wrote:I just thought I could get some info as to how much lift I needed.

5 inches lift total on my 3260 IH mower deck. Per my measurements, actual lift as I have deck set up is right at 4 inches. But I have the deck stopped/set so that the mower blades are at about 3 1/2" above ground when in the lowered position. So, if I had the deck set on the ground, add 1 more inch for a total of 5 inches.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Are you trying to convert a heavy 3-pt mower to an undermount unit????---it aint gonna fit/work/or happen.---just go buy a woods IF you gotta have a mower for it.---also you gotta remember that you do not have much horsepower to work with either.
Also does your 154 have the 6-speed tranny or only the 3 speed. thanks; sonny

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 am

It does have the creeper. Maybe I will be better off to do that I just figured if it would fit it was already mine. But it has to warm up here first. We got more snow last night. My wife may have to learn to mow with the 3 point mower. Ha. But I am still trying to teach her to back the car up.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat May 04, 2013 10:20 am

Ok, My mower is a KUB-KLIPPER. Its a K\60E. 60 inches wide. Anybody out there got one of these. It looks like it has been remanufactured as a 3 point mower. Because it has large angle irons on each side for the hookups and they are all galvanized , not many manufacturers would use that kind of iron. It is going to have plenty of room for lift its not very deep once I get the gearbox off of it. Another thing is wonder if it makes any diff which way it goes forward or backward.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 pm

These mowers were originally for full size cubs,---some of them had fast hitch frame/belt pulleys/ etc. on them!---they could also be mounted under big cub, super A etc.----so if you take it down to just the main drive pulley on the deck and work up from there,---it does have possible fit,---glad you have the 6-speed tranny because you will need all the hp you can get and move slow with it and all should be good!
From what I can see you should slide the deck from rear mount position straight forward to undermount then start the hook-up of the push arms.(you may have to make different ones )---you will probably have to make a few brackets and idler pulley mounts and pto drive pulley.---this is only a suggestion, BUT with that big single blade, you will need to use a really small pto pulley and a big one on the mower spindle !---this will help greatly on the limited power thing!
Look it over and see if what I have suggested will help you any!-----I didnt think a 154 had enough under clearance but if it does then go for the conversion back to undermount as mower was originally intended for!---if you have more questions, ask and we will try to answer/help if we can! thanks; sonny

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Sonny. This one has 3 blades. I looked it over and it looks like it has been an under mount and looks like some of the woods mower really. Not a lot of difference. One good thing is I can use the gearbox someone put on there to build a snow thrower in the fall. My neighbor wants me to put a set of skis on the front tires for getting maple sap in the spring. Oh boy another project. Ha.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 pm

3 blades?---better deal yet!LOL!!!----ok,the mounting should go along the same lines as a Woods unit!--this will make things a lot simpler!---does it look like it used 1 super-long drive belt or 1 med. long and 2 shorter belts to the outer blades like the Danco (IH 3160) deck---I have one of them on the 185 --3 speed tractor.---might make your mounts so you can use woods or IH belts that will also make things better!
its good that you can use some of the parts for other builds later on!---saves big bucks!
I have a 3 blade mower on 1 of my Allis C tractors that dont look like a woods or Danco,---former owner stuck it under there and I will be taking it off since I need the tractor for other uses and mowing is not one of them.
Never tried the ski idea,---it might just work.---might start looking for tire chains to put on the back tires and have a go at it! thanks; sonny

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes. I think skis would be fun. But I need a set of wheel spacers first, mine dont have room for chains at the moment. Mine has 3 belts , 2 are there and I need to know what size v pulley I need to put on the top of the double pulley that is already there.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm

If you have the short fat tires,--you will need rear wheel spacers for the mower!---mine are 3/4" thick and need to be at least double that.---mower hits on the front side of the tires when raised.---the straight side of the deck goes towards the front, and the v part goes rear, then cut/fit the arms for length.
I will look at my ih and see what they have on it,but I think they are a 3 groove ---I will measure them for sure and you can rig up something from there! thanks; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”