This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical Decision

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42301
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Re: Electrical Decision

Postby 48Beacon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Barnyard and Rudi, I want to thank you for the useful information. For the time being I am going to be a purist. I think it is one of the lessor expensive options for me with the working parts I have. If I find that the 6 volt is not getting the job done, I will look into converting to 12 volts and unloading the 6 volt parts I have. Hey! who knows, I have enjoyed working on the restoration of my first cub I might decide to do a second and make it 12 volts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 pm

You are welcome :D

I am not a purist by any means. I am just someone who believes that one should fix the underlying problems before simply throwing money at the problem - substituting 12v parts without solving the problems is simply a waste of resources and time to my mind. I am just frugal, some call me cheap, but I prefer frugal. Now, if my Cubs came equipped with 12v systems, I probably would have learned how to fix it and use 12 volts. However, my Cubs are 6 volt. Ellie my '48 came that way.

Granny my '47 had one of them really crappy 12 volt conversions that was not only an eyesore but didn't work at all. It was just a boogered up 6v system converted to 12v cause they couldn't be bothered fixing it properly. To start Granny, you still had to put the battery on a charger or boost it because it didn't charge at all. Butch said it never did :?

Jethro my '50 came the same way, complete with the hinged hood and a household light switch as the kill switch :big give up:

I converted Granny back to a mag primarily because the genny came with her and I have extra mags. The distributor I traded for another mag. Oh, I still have an original battery ignition (distributor) to go with my 6 volt alternator. :lol:

If I was to ever get a Cub that came equipped with 12v, well that Cubby would stay 12v cause that's the way IH built her.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 am

Rudi, I completely understand. I have been called cheap as well, but I probably have spent more money on this tractor than I should have, but it has been an 8 year project and I am still not done. I look at it as a form of entertainment for me. Some people may go to the Boat to play the slots or go to caribbean, I like to tinker. I also like things put back the way they came as long as it is functional and can be done at reasonable expense. I think I am getting the best of both worlds on my tractor by going back to 6 volts.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 am

Come on up to the Bash next month and spend the week end learning Cub Stuff. You'll not only learn a few tricks but you'll also meet many of the forum folks while have a great time.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:24 pm

You know, your outlook is much the same as mine and probably many of our other members. We like to tinker, don't go runnin' the town, Mama always knows where we are, we are happy and content. Spending a little of our hard earned coin on our hobby is perfectly alright and I think that the majority of our brides will agree. Keeps us happy and out of troube :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Rudi, my wife is content and happy with me tinkering just as long as I don't slack on my chores around the house. Barnyard, I appreciate the invitation and it sounds like fun. I will consider making the trip. Thanks.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 am

Another 'moral' of the story is you found a good 'automotive' electrical guy and a good one at that.

The fellow that worked on my 6v generator found the problem right away.... some moron painted the whole thing :oops: and the frame needs to be grounded. A little paint removal at the bolt hole and now a good ground. Sometimes what should be obvious....
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:01 am

Same problem with new starter for the W/H. Installed , no work, back to dealer, bench test,, works fine. Repeat, then back again to battery shop, finding bad ground because of paint.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:some moron painted the whole thing :oops:

I wouldn't go "THAT" far .... :big smile:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm

I have been cured of 'paint everything I touch'..... at least mostly. The only thing I painted on my 77 was the shifter, someone gaffed up a straight shifter with a bend in it, nothing to keep the shifter pointed north on a straight shifter. So I had to remove all traces of yeller from the bent shifter I had.

Another point not to paint is the VR plate where the ground strap/wire goes to one of the legs, that is the ground for the VR.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Well, I am going to have to admit that I am one of those morons. I have painted the starter, regulator and generator. Had to order the braces for my generator as I did not have them for the 6v and I am waiting for them to be delivered. I cleaned all the wire connections bare after I painted. Specifically, what else do I need to clean to get a good ground? Thanks for your help.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Where ever there is going to be metal to metal connection in the electric circuit has to be clean and bright. Terminals need to clean and bright and if possible all the terminal connections should be soldered and then shrink wrapped. After that ... not sure what else needs to be done, but then again, I am not a real electrical guy, I kinda just putz at it :)

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I will make sure I follow your advice on cleaning the connections. Looking at all the diagrams in the manuals the regulator/cutouts have all the terminals one one side. I did find one picture like mine which two terminals on one side and one on the other. However, it showed only one wire going to the generator. Can you tell me which is the BAT, the A and F connections on my type of regulator? Also my regulator/generator set up had two wires from the two terminals on the same side going to the generator. Can anyone explain this set up to me?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Sounds like a Cut-Out to me.

GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment should be of help with the electrical.

Jim Becker and a couple of the others are the electrical guru's .. they can explain it a whole lot better. This is the thread that documents my trials at learning - Generator and Cut-Out

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm

48Beacon wrote:Can you tell me which is the BAT, the A and F connections on my type of regulator?

Different reglators have their terminals in different places. It depends on the manufacturer and the model. You can not go by position to connect them. All regulators have F (may be FLD), G (may be GEN) and B (usually BATT). Some have L, depending on the application. You connect them as shown in the diagram on the page Rudi posted.

Return to “Farmall Cub”