This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical Decision

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Electrical Decision

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Here is the schematic for a mag equipped 6 volt system:

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Don't magnetos start better turned over slowly? 12v
Spins a 6v starter pretty fast. Just something else to think about.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 pm

If you want the least expensive solution, don't put any charging system on it. Buy a battery charger/maintainer from WalMart for about $20. Unless you use the lights, you can go several days (maybe weeks) of steady use before the battery needs a charge. If you want your battery to last, you should keep a maintainer on it anyway.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 am

Very good point Mr Becker! In fact, when that Cub was made the battery, starting and lighting system was an option. With a magneto, as Rudi's drawing shows, you can crank start and run the Cub without a battery at all.

I have used my loader Cub for several years with no charging system. It's a 12v Cub with a distributor, so I need a battery for the ignition and I use the starter. Just throw the 'electronic' charger on it when I am done for the day. When I replaced the broken fan belt, found the generator had bad bearing(s) so I cut the generator belt and put the hood back on and went back to mowing with it.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42301
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby 48Beacon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I want thank everyone who posted. I have learned alot from everyones' posts. I guess the clincher for me was learning that the Cub could run without the battery and charging system all together. That being the case and already having a 6v starter and fan pulley, if I can get the 6v generator in good working order for a reasonable price, that is what I will go back with. Thanks again to all.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 am

Check with Boss Hog...I think he still rebuilds them...very reasonably....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 am

clodhopper wrote: Higher voltage is not a replacement for good electrical maintenance.

My thoughts exactly and I will add I believe at least 80% of 12 volt conversions are done for this reason--too lazy to repair it right, or not enough know-how to correct the actual problem.

If you have good clean connections (Imagine that--an electrical connection that hasn't been touched in 30+ years needs to be cleaned!) Good heavy 2/0 cables instead of the little wimpy replacement cables designed for 12 volts, and a healthy starter (Another thought about cranking speed: The starter needs to be healthy too. If it hasn't been unbolted from the tractor in 30 years it likely needs attention.) it will crank and charge reliably.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm

I just got by 6 volt generator and regulator back today from Gary's Auto and Electrical shop. It cost me $28.50 to get it back up and running again. I had my Mr. Gary check my 6 volt start a week ago and it was in good working order as well. He said all I needed now was good Group 1 6 volt battery from Rural King and I should be good to go. He said I should have no problems with a 6 volt system as long I keep the connections clean. Thanks again to all.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Can't beat that with a stick! :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Yup, cant't beat that with a stick :D

Glad you were able to get the electrical resolved so inexpensively :{_}:

Mr. Gary also reinforces that concept that many of us keep repeating almost like a mantra - a well maintained 6 v electrical system doesn't need to be converted to 12 v. That also applies to 12 v. A well maintained system of either voltage will give you years of trouble free operation providing you do the maintenance regularly.

A 19L is a good group 1 battery that will fit in the battery box. that is important to keep in mind.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

48Beacon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 48Beacon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Considering that an electrical system is an extra option for a tractor with a magneto, I did not see going to 12 volts with my situation. If I had the starter and fan pulley for a 12 volt system, I would have gone 12 volts. I will just have to improvise if I ever have to hook up a spray rig or other device that requires 12v. Rudi, Mr. Gary came highly recommended here in Owensboro, KY and he had nothing bad to say about a 6 volt sytem. This reassured me that I was making the right decision for me. Is the 19L a common size for all 6 volt batteries or is it a particular for a certain brand of battery? I have the complete battery box and it is important that my battery fits.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

48Beacon wrote: Is the 19L a common size for all 6 volt batteries or is it a particular for a certain brand of battery?

There are several different sizes of 6v batteries. 19L is a battery group. It is made by several different manufactures.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 am

Yup to what Barnyard said. This is a chart from BCI Group that lists the different groups. Group 1 is the right size for a Cub Battery Box. Group 1 encompasses the 19L category - and is usually the type code used by Auto Supply Retailers like - O'Reilly's Super Start® Fleet & Heavy Duty - Battery

48Beacon wrote:I will just have to improvise if I ever have to hook up a spray rig or other device that requires 12v.

When it comes to running a pump for a sprayer, a gear pump will work nicely and it is totally independent of electrics, runs off the PTO.

Burke Gear Pumps

And they turn either CW or CCW so it is not a concern for us Cub Owners :idea: :!:

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

Boss Hog wrote:
Rudi wrote: A well maintained 6v system is as good or better than a 12v system.

Do you realty believe this Rudi
Because it is just not so in my opinion. If you ever had owned a good 12 volt cub you would not make that statement I can assure you. I know the cost of converting to 12 volt and I also know the cost of a good 6 volt regulator as well as the cost of rebuilding a 6 volt generator. If you want to keep it original by all means keep it 6 volt. If you want it trouble free change it to 12 volt correctly. A poorly done conversion is more trouble that 6 volt ever was.
Boss

I have had 4 cubs over the years. None are show tractors I use them on and off to do small stuff when I don't want to tear things up with one of my bigger machines. I agree totally with this boss hogs statement. I like my 12v one the best, it whips it over faster for starting when it's cold out or the fuel has gotten a little wimpy from sitting in the carb or the cyl walls may be dry and compression is down from infrequent use. No worries it just starts right up. I like the stability of the voltage regulator not overcharging my battery or undercharging it when the lights are on. I like that I can jump start it from another 12v machine. I like cheaper more available 12v components. I think it boils down to weather you are a purest who likes things all original or if you like to tinker and try to improve things. It’s up to you. But my 2 cents is that 12v is a little more practical. 6v is a little more nostalgic.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:57 pm

What about 6v Delco alternators like guys use on their model A's, etc. more expense going in, but nothing else needs changing. Only good reason to go 12v is Pertronics ign. Yes I know they have 6v ones, but if you buy the 6v one and then upgrade to 12v, what do you do with it?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”