This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sugarbush
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06488

Re: Carb Cleaning

Postby sugarbush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

The over the counter carb cleaners are all just about useless now days. Gunk makes a carb dip that is decent, but it runs about 30.00 a gallon which is a lot if you are only doing one carb. Many will probably object, but boiling in Lemon juice is about the best carb cleaner available and only cost about 1.00 per quart. I have done many of dozens of carbs this way, mostly snowmobile carbs and it works better than any carb cleaner/dip available.

Remove all your gaskets, needle valve, float and jets, Place the dissembled carb in a pot of lemon juice and place on the burner of your outside grill, boil for 15-20 minutes, rinse well with cold water and for best results dry with compressed air.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 am

Berrymans Chem Dip at Walmart, less than $20.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 am

sugarbush wrote:The over the counter carb cleaners are all just about useless now days. Gunk makes a carb dip that is decent, but it runs about 30.00 a gallon which is a lot if you are only doing one carb. Many will probably object, but boiling in Lemon juice is about the best carb cleaner available and only cost about 1.00 per quart. I have done many of dozens of carbs this way, mostly snowmobile carbs and it works better than any carb cleaner/dip available.

Remove all your gaskets, needle valve, float and jets, Place the dissembled carb in a pot of lemon juice and place on the burner of your outside grill, boil for 15-20 minutes, rinse well with cold water and for best results dry with compressed air.

Same as vinegar. Just a different acid- acetic acid vs citric acid.

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

I got a gallon of Gunk today. After all the warnings I as staying away from the TSC kit, even though it would be the easiest way to get one.

Thanks for all the advice. This was a lot of great information.

sugarbush
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sugarbush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Lemon juice isn't quite as caustic as Vinegar.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Actually, it is pretty close, but lemon juice is slightly more acidic according to the ph chart. The lower the number the more acidic it is. Surprised me.

2.0 - Lemon Juice
2.2 - Vinegar

I am sure that you are not hurting anything by keeping a close watch on the clock. Putting it in and going on vacation may not be a good idea. :lol:

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Here is some info you might find helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73999&hilit=+carb

EDIT: This is what a soda blasted carb will look like on the cub. Of course you can paint it if you like... :D
Last edited by clodhopper on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Just a note, if it is truly JB Weld holding the fitting in, the Berryman's or other carb cleaner will remove that for you.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Ask Larry aka Buzzard Wing about pot metal carbs and vinegar...

pics courtesy Larry D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Can I get another vote for soda blasting? I think that carb (Rudi's post) is now trash.

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910

Postby panda » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 am

Soda blasting is easy if you have compressed air. Only way to go. :{_}:

sugarbush
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sugarbush » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 am

Dang Rudi... How many years did that carb get left in the Vinegar for? Also before any carb cleaning all of the fittings/gaskets need to be removed... That is the first mistake and the second is the person in question obviously soaked this carb way too long.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 am

Actually not long. I think he left it overnight IIRC. This was a number of years ago. We chuckle about it now sort of but it was a huge deal back when it happened. Unfortunately the carb was destroyed.

Remember something - what works on a lot of carbs on other pieces of equipment will not necessarily work on an IH carb (more accurately a Donaldson Carb as that is who made them for IH). M-S, Carter and Zenith are not made from the same alloys, so the reactions to some cleaners will be different. There are a lot of preconceived notions that come from other hobbies that simply do not apply to our Cubs. So when the guys (some of us have been playing with these things for a decade or 2 or 3) indicated something is not a good idea, it usually pays to listen. I know that is one of the first things I did when I first became a member of this community was pay attention to what the guru's told me - I still listen cause I am still learning.

You can't always remove the needle and cage, sometimes they are sort of stuck due to varnish. In carb cleaner, the varnish goes away and then you can safely remove the needle and cage without any damage.

This is one of the reasons why I won't use anything but Berryman's. For me to do that, means Don McCombs had to go buy me a gallon and bring it to Cecil's. It then went to Maine where I picked it up. It is not available in Canada. Why I do not know, but it simply isn't. Seems the FDA won't let it get exported. However it is the best carb cleaner I have come across (thanks Don :D :{_}: ) and the safest for a pot metal carb. I have the NAPA brand as well .. that is the most foul smelling, difficult and caustic cleaner I have come across. I haven't used it since I got the Berryman's - I may end up simply taking it to my HazMat recycling depot and just get rid of it. Another $35.00 down the toilet .. but it really needs to go :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

Modern "environmentally friendly" carburetor cleaners are only good for a short time after opening. It will absorb water from the atmosphere and corrodes the can very quickly from the inside. What happens to the porch decking when the can leaks is very unfriendly.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am

Lurker Carl wrote: What happens to the porch decking when the can leaks is very unfriendly.

As told to you by your neighbor, right? :mona:

Return to “Farmall Cub”