This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SuperA turns over but won't start

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bama-IH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35242

SuperA turns over but won't start

Postby Bama-IH » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am

I'm helping my father-n-law with a SuperA that was bought new by his dad in the 50's and has not been modified. It will not start now. Background: It ran fine last year and he has been using a 12v battery for a couple of years now without converting. We use it every spring for planting large family garden. He put a charger on the battery a couple of weeks ago and forgot about it and ruined the battery. Problem: Bought a NAPA 6v as a replacement and it would not start. I replaced the plugs, wires, coil, condensor, points, distributor cap. Then drained the carb for a good 20 secs (bowl was replaced 2 years ago and is clear) as well as took the oil bath off to have straight air. The firing order is correct and I set the gaps. I tested the spark using a Lisle in-line tester and have fire all the way to the plugs. I can't figure this one out; fire, fuel and air should at least let the motor hit. It just turns over without any indication of hitting, no misfires, backfires, nothing. We are going to try and plant ours and a neighbor's garden next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: SuperA turns over but won't start

Postby Wakulla Bill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Sounds like you have a good one there! First thing I would do is give it a small shot of starting fluid, if it runs off that, pull the main jet and clean with a small copper wire. It does not take much to clog one up. Hope this helps.
Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Since it apparently set since last spring you may have a stuck valve or two. Put your hand over the intake and see if you have vacuum on every stroke ( 2 times per revolution)
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bama-IH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35242

Postby Bama-IH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check for the stuck valves. And since the carb has not been touched since it was installed in 1952, we are planning on taking it off to clean/rebuild it this weekend.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”