This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hello and a Question?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MississippiSlim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39429

Hello and a Question?

Postby MississippiSlim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 am

HEllo to all! Glad I found this forum! I hopefully will be the owner of a Farmall in the near future and I know I will find a wealth of info here. I have always loved these tractors. I grew up in South Mississippi and our neighbor had a Cub that he would use on his garden and ours. We had a large MF with larger equipment that we would trade out use of for the use of the CUb for our garden work. Some of my early memories are of the Cub in our garden.
So flash forward to the present. My wife and I are back on the family farm and need a good garden/row crop tractor. Sadly our neighbor has passed on and the Cub was sold. I am on the lookout now for a Super A as I feel it is the perfect fit for our uses. I recently found a SA for sale with cultivators, planters, Fertilize Side dresser,disk hillers, and some other equipment I am not familiar with. Although I havent looked at it closely as I have been out of town my wife has looked at it and talked to the seller. He claims it is in excellent shape with no known issues (I know it look sreally nice). He is asking 4500 dollars. IS this a reasonable amount to pay if all he says is true? If it is still available next week when I get home I will no more about it after I go see it. Any problem areas to check or symptoms of trouble I should be wary of?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Hello and a Question?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 am

In my part of the country (eastern Mo.) that would be a pretty high price, but finding one in really good shape with a lot of implements is also rare. If it has been well cared for, it may not be too bad.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 am

IMHO...that amount would be for a show room quality restored tractor....and still a tad high. In these parts, a good working Super A that looked resonably well would be in the 1800 to 2300 range. Add the implement and maybe 3500.... Welcome to the forum from north LA. 8)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 am

IMO that price is a little stiff unless it's really nice. If it has a big pile of implements it may not be too out of line though. Go look at it and post pictures. Check steering play, and does the left rear wheel wobble in the housing. That will tell you how much wear and tear it has.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 am

PM sent
Thomas

MississippiSlim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MississippiSlim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 am

PM replied to! If anyone in the Mississippi Area has a quality Super A with implements they want to sell, please let me know!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

MississippiSlim wrote:. . . with cultivators, planters, Fertilize Side dresser,disk hillers, and some other equipment I am not familiar with.

Yeah, the price seems on the high side. But keep in mind that you are looking at a lot of value in the implements. That is IF they are complete and in good condition. If you are going to want/need a set of gardening implements, you can spend a lot of time and money finding and buying them. That list of implements in REALLY nice condition can approach half the guy's asking price.

It will be worth your time and expense to get the parts catalog or owner's manuals that cover those implements and make sure they are complete. If the currrent owner has actually USED the implements, he probably has all the parts. But keep in mind that key parts are often left behind because they are hanging somewhere on a barn wall (another reason to check with a book). If they are complete, it is a big plus. If you can verify that pieces are missing, you have a major negotiating point.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:16 pm

My thoughts and suggestions.

1) Spend some time writing down the tasks you want your tractor and machinery to do.
2) Spend some time writing down the features you want on your tractor.
3) Research tractors available, features, and previously sold in your area. Reason for this is that some makes/dealerships were dominant in one area and another make/dealership dominant 20 or 30 miles distant.
4). Is repair parts or service available within a reasonable distance.

Reason I bring this up is that there was a Ford dealership in town for many years, lots of Fords around. Several Allis Chalmers dealerships were dominant in the county for many years. Again, lots of Allis tractors still available for service or parts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

MississippiSlim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MississippiSlim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 am

Well as far as ?'s 1 and 2, thats what brought me to the Farmalls. Always seemed to be the perfect tractor for my needs. ? 3 is a moot issue as at one time or another we had just about every type of tractor dealership. ? #4-- I will do my own maintenance/repair/restoration. Parts--Good Old Internet for those that I can't get from the Case Dealership.

LA Eric
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70394
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Cub High Crop
1 AV
2 Super AVs
1 MD
3 HVs
3 MVs
1 Super MTA-V
1 100 Hi-Clear
2 130 Hi-Clears
2 140 Hi-Clears
1 300 Hi-Clear
1 350 Hi-Clear
2 B-414G Hi-Clears
1 B-414D Hi-Clear
1 400 Hi Clear
1 450 Hi Clear
1 460 Hi-Clear
1 504 Hi-Clear
3 560D Hi-Clears
1 706 D Hi-Clear
1 806D Hi-Clear with Broussard Sugar Cane Loader
1 856D Hi-Clear with Broussard Sugar Cane Loader
1 966D Hi-Clear
1 1066D Hi-Clear
1 F-30 Hi Clear

Postby LA Eric » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

PM sent

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 am

MississippiSlim wrote:Thats what brought me to the Farmalls. Always seemed to be the perfect tractor for my needs.
Your initial post stated that you wanted a garden/row crop tractor and listed some cultivation equipment. I didn't see soil preparation implements or a mower listed.

Nothing wrong with a Super A, if it will meet your needs. Make a great garden tractor. As far as a row crop tractor, the Super A may be on the small size, depending on acres, crops and other tasks.

Consider a tractor with a 3-point hitch. A lot of 3-point equipment available, new and used.

Reason I mentioned past local dealerships is that if a lot of a particular make and model of tractor was sold locally, then implements matching the tractors were also sold.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am

Super A-100-130-140 with a Fast Hitch. Easy to swap between plow, disk harrow, and cultivating equipment

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

MississippiSlim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MississippiSlim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I have other tractors for the bigger jobs. A newer Kubota MX5100 and an '85 model MF290 with discs, section harrows, plow, subsoiler, bush hog etc, etc. My Row cropping will be mainly small acreage for Farmers MArket items. Couple few acres tops. Besides I just love the old technology. It makes sense to me more so than the modern stuff.

Love that fast hitch system!

MississippiSlim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MississippiSlim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I appreciate all the responses! Thanks for everyones help and input!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm

MississippiSlim wrote:I have other tractors for the bigger jobs. A newer Kubota MX5100 and an '85 model MF290 with discs, section harrows, plow, subsoiler, bush hog etc, etc. My Row cropping will be mainly small acreage for Farmers MArket items. Couple few acres tops. Besides I just love the old technology. It makes sense to me more so than the modern stuff.

Love that fast hitch system!

That's what we have done in the family vegetable garden for years. The bigger farm tractors do all the tillage work, and then the Super A or Cub makes the rows and cultivates. It can be a tight squeeze but a 120 HP tractor with a chisel plow followed by a 14' field cultivator will make a nicer seed bed FASTER! than a Cub, Super A, or whatever. Seat time on the older ones is lessend of course.....

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”