This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Your Engine Sucks!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Your Engine Sucks!!!

Postby Donny M » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:52 am

I found this in a magizine last week and in view of some of the last posts I thought I would post some of the more pertinent info.

A. If your engine is healthy, it should read a steady 18" to 22" of vacuum at sea level with engine at low idle.

B. If the needle fluctuates in below normal range it could indicate a leak at the intake manifold or the manifold gasket.

C. A regular, intermittent drop below normal indicates valve leakage.

D. Rapid intermittent dropping below normal indicates sticking valves.

E. Fluctuations increasing with engine speed indicate weak valve springs.

F. Fast vibrations, but normal vacuum indicates ignition trouble. Slow movement at normal vacuum indicates incorrect carburetor adjustment.

Bear in mind that the vacuum indication with be lower with elevation. I live at 4,000 ft and the vacuum at low idle is just below 19".
The vacuum guage is quite a handy thing!

The 1/8" square head, pipe plug on the manifold, just above the carburetor is intended I assume for diagnostics. Since this is a pipe thread and someone had posted something about a hex head bolt with a machine thread, I would think it would be leaking.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:24 am

A vacuum gauge is a great diagonistic tool for a carbureted engine. As long as the engine will run, you can really find and correct several problems.

A good vacuum gauge is a well spent $15.00 and after you learn to use it, you'll be suprised had smooth you can adjust an engine to run.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

ScottM
10+ Years
10+ Years

air pump

Postby ScottM » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:06 pm

Every internal combustion engine is essentially just a pump.

I remember seeing a exhaust manifold pressure gauge in a float plane that I had to make a short trip in about 20 years ago. If it was important enough to put on the dash of a plane, then it obviously must relay real-time and important info to the pilot.

Regarding the hex head machine screw, there is such a thing as a hex socket pipe plug - this may have been mentioned, I didn't find the original post on that issue.

1/8 NPT has 27 threads per inch. As a hex socket plug can be fairly short in length, I suppose it might be mistaken for a 3/8-24 UNF, or a 7/16-20 UNF hex socket sew screw.

The only way to be sure is to measure it, of course!

Nick C.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Nick C. » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:26 pm

Thanks for the tech specs Donny! This will definitely help me with my fine tuning once I get this darn thing started again!

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Your Engine Sucks!!!

Postby parts man » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:09 am

Donny M wrote:
The 1/8" square head, pipe plug on the manifold, just above the carburetor is intended I assume for diagnostics.

Actually, one of the purposes of that plug was to power an old fashioned can style vacuum milker. There was an adapter to fit in the place of the plug that was a ball type valve, and the hose from the milker hooked onto it. It may even be listed in the special attatchments section of the parts book.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine diagnosis and tune up

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:14 pm

This thread needs to be put in the how to section of this board. Perhaps titled engine diagnosis and tune up.

The hex plug in the intake manifold takes a 1/4 x 1/8 hose barb (about $1.00). Used to install your vacuum gauge.

Site below provides a number of vacuum gaauge readings.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/vacuum.asp readings.

Eugene

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Vacuum in a plane

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:08 pm

The vacuum gauge in the plane is there because many of the other instruments are run by vacuum - and a failure of the vacuum pump(s) could lead to a partial or complete failure of the autopilot, horizon indicator, directional gyro(s) and other nasty, nasty stuff.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 pm

I think that is a very good idea.... Donny if you are up to it.. and have the time.

I think it would make a fine addition, just as it is pretty much. Course if there is a possiblility of pics of a vacuum guage and how to properly use one, that would be useful as well... expecially for those of us who haven't got a clue what the heck you are talking about :roll: :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: Like ME :!: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Vacuum in a plane

Postby George Willer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:42 pm

allenlook wrote:The vacuum gauge in the plane is there because many of the other instruments are run by vacuum - and a failure of the vacuum pump(s) could lead to a partial or complete failure of the autopilot, horizon indicator, directional gyro(s) and other nasty, nasty stuff.

Manifold pressure gauge gives important information for adjusting the variable pitch prop. Gyro instruments can and often were supplied by a venturi. Most of my experience is with aircraft equipped only with turn and bank indicator, airspeed indicator, and a finicky compass. The rest is fluff. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Great info Donny and Eugene...Thanks 8) 8)

Still don't understand how to hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold though. Does it thread into the plug hole :?:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:38 pm

Will take the wife to the shop tomorrow morning to photograph my hooking up a vacuum gauge.

When I was a kid, just yesterday, we had vacuum gauges installed under the dash. The general idea was to keep the needle in the green - high vacuum - good gas milage - low vacuum foot to the floor. And gas was 30 cents a gallon.

Eugene

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:01 am

I didn't have the gauge Eugene, but used my wipers to teach me when the engine sound had enough vacuum... 8) 8) Remember .27/gal. at Star Service.

Thanks.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 pm

ARRRGHHH!!!
I can't resist this!
For you youngsters - when I started driving gas was 16.9 cents a gallon, the old slow rpm long stroke engines got 20+ MPG, and we weren't plagued with all the "improvements". :lol:
Before I was even driving tractor - several years prior to car driving age, gas was delivered by a guy who measured it by known volume containers and the dumped it into the farm underground tank. No pump or hose on the tank truck.
Now for the real revelation - Do I wanna go back there? Only to visit!
:wink:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 pm

I remember you gave the guy in the station a dollar and the question was 5 gallons and change or shoot the buck. He cleaned the windows and you got free glasses or green stamps. I enjoy every minute of today and every minute of then. If I went back I would miss the wife and kids. Life is such a learning experience. The more I learn the more I learn I don't know yet and there is so much less time in which to learn.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:15 pm

I wish I could have said it that well, Bill!
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Return to “Farmall Cub”