This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fasthitch with Substitute Drawbar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Fasthitch with Substitute Drawbar

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:54 pm

OK, I have another question for you brilliant folks!! I have pretty much completed the installation of the fasthitch on my '55 Cub. I had purchased a substitute drawbar since I had read that this allows the use of the belly mounted scraper blade to be used with the fasthitch. However, as I posted previously, I found that the Pull Bar was in the way. In the photos I have seen, the drawbar is below the Pull Bar, as in TM's photo (and thanks to them!)here:
http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/subdrawbar_001.htm

Also, note that the depth adjustment lever, is attached at its lowest point on the Lever Arm Links. It seems this would increase the chances of the Pull Bar hitting the Drawbar, as mine does. What am I doing wrong? My installation of the fasthitch looks correct to me, but I must be missing something. Since I am working alone, I am unable to hold the Substitute Dawbar up to demonstrate, and take a photo at the same time. But here are some photos of the installation so far.

Please let me know if you see something wrong. I'll be gone for a week, but will be reading the operations info for the fasthitch so when I get back, I'll be ready to go.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Fasthitch with Substitute Drawbar

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Dale,

Shorten up the two straps that run from the depth lever to the bail. Lots of room for adjustment there. Just as an aside, you lift arms need a bit of fine tuning at the ends of your pull bar support. The swivels are upside down, zirk fittings go up.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:18 pm

To add to this, here are a few photos I took at a cubfest (but do not remember whose lovely tractor it is!). It shows the Pull Bar almost resting on the substitute drawbar. Does this mean you limit the use of the fasthitch if the drawbar is installed?

I also note that this has the newer depth adjuster (crank-style), if this makes any difference.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Dale,

Shorten up the two straps that run from the depth lever to the bail. Lots of room for adjustment there. Just as an aside, you lift arms need a bit of fine tuning at the ends of your pull bar support. The swivels are upside down, zirk fittings go up.

Thanks, Bill! That's the kind of info I need!! I will get this figured out with lots of help from you guys!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm

The unknown tractor in the pictures I believe may belong to Brad. Post some pictures if you get your setup figured out. I have a substitute drawbar on the way thru cub express and will be dealing with this same issue. Thanks :). Good luck

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Dale, my '56 Cub has the same style FH as yours and I currently have a substitute drawbar installed. My setup does indeed let the pullbar ride on the substitute drawbar when the adjustment lever is in the middle notch (the 4th out of 7). Everything is installed correctly. As Bill said you can hook up farther in the straps to raise it. In doing a little reading of different manuals, the bottom holes that you have it in is for plowing and the top holes are for cultivating. I guess the other holes are fair game depending what you are using the hitch for. If I do any plowing with the 194 plow, I will just remove the substitute drawbar. Rusty, the '57 I used for the Cub Tug, has the screw style adjuster and I had the same problem with the substitute drawbar. Now I know why sometimes it didn't plow well.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm

....... your lift arms need a bit of fine tuning at the ends of your pull bar support. The swivels are upside down, zirk fittings go up.

I just checked the TM fasthitch photos and the zirk fittings are down. Is that wrong? The parts manual also has them with the zirk fittings down.

I did raise the hitch bail assembly to the 3rd set of holes and as long as I put a stop in place on the hydraulic quadrant, it doesn't bang down onto the substitute drawbar.

I fabricated a couple of the needed pins but still looking for the pins for the pull bar extension (trailer hitch) and the rockshaft arm right hand pivot. Also the quick attachable cotter pin that secures the pull bar support in position.

I will add photos tonight if I get a chance.
Last edited by Dale Finch on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Is there anyone in the Chapel Hill area who is familiar with how to use this fasthitch assembly and the implements who would be willing to teach me?

Also, still looking for a front universal shaft for the mower!! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Dale Finch wrote:

....... your lift arms need a bit of fine tuning at the ends of your pull bar support. The swivels are upside down, zirk fittings go up.

I just checked the TM fasthitch photos and the zirk fittings are down. Is that wrong? The parts manual also has them with the zirk fittings down.

Dale,

I don't know which TM pics you looked at. I just went to the site and each one of the pics showing the swivels had "zirks up." No matter, the important thing is to have the attaching pin under the pull bar support rod, much stronger that way. Oh, I didn't look at the parts book.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Looks like you and I are BOTH right! The part I was referring to in my post about the zirk fitting being down...well I was talking about the ones above those that are attached to the rockshaft arm. Can't believe you spotted the photo where the lower pair of swivels ARE upside down. Thank you for the observation!!

Check and see if you concur...I will turn around those lower ones tomorrow! Thanks again for being so observant!! Let me know if you spot anything else...besides the use of bolts where there are supposed to be pins!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”