This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

modified horse drawn plows

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dbboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39338
eBay ID: dbboss
Tractors Owned: '63 Massey Ferguson 35 diesel deluxe
'50 Farmall Cub

modified horse drawn plows

Postby dbboss » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok. I'm sure to ruffle some feathers of purists and get called no telling what, but I'm a big boy so I can handle it. Lol. Here is my question. There are very few implements laying around in my area for Cub tractors. Those that are, the price has been driven up too high to justify anyone other than a collector buying them. I'm not collecting, I'm putting my machine to work. What we do have are lots of old horse drawn plows laying around that are still reasonable in price. Middle busters, or furrowers as some call them, turning, or moldboard plows, etc. Has anyone (successfully) adapted old horse drawn plows to work on your Cub? I've got a couple of ideas and was wondering how any of you did it, saw it done, and if you had any pics. I've got everything needed to modify the plows, make brackets, etc. Just looking for better ways to do it. Would i like a showroom quality tractor with all original equipment to work with? Who wouldn't? But money and family obligations are screaming "not now!" Now.....let the games begin! Lol

P.S. I've got a solid toolbar running all the way across the back, no drawbar, & regular 144 cultivator underneath just so you know what I've got to start with.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: modified horse drawn plows

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Actually I'm thinking a single 12" bottom trailer type plow would work behind a Cub without modification.

I have two each 2 bottom trailer type John Deere plows. I'll have to check to see if one bottom can be removed. Had a two bottom 3-point hitch JD plow. One bottom could be dropped off by removing one beam and bottom then moving the trailer wheel forward.

Back in the late 40's and early 50's, family used a lot of horse drawn equipment. Most of the time the implement's tongue was shortened for pulling with a tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I am not sure where Louin Ms is in relation to Cub Implements but I am sure that if you posted a wanted - Cub-193 Moldboard Plow in the Wanted Cub Items forum that you would soon be the proud owner of one. Even if it is a ways off, there is a mechanism for those needing things far away to git to em ... it does work. So suggest you place that ad :idea: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Shoot I just sold an excellent moldboard plow that Brad Homsted restored. Wish I had known you were looking for one! I'm in Raymond MS about 1 hr 45 min from you

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 pm

I modified a horse drawn walling plow that i found in an antique store for 20 bucks. I had to weld a mount for the draw bar and had to add some cushioning to take any stress. I have plowed over 40 acres total swith this plow and have had no problems. It was a lot cheaper than the closest Cub plow to me I found (That guy wanted 200). Around me, there are a lot of walking plows around, my grandfather used one up into the late 60s. I use the hydraulics to adjust the plow depth, and added a chain to hold it in position. There are better options, but some of us have to adapt, improvise, and overcome.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

stupidcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55344
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby stupidcub » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 am

I use a 1 bottom. I think it is a "little wonder" Got it for free and works pretty good.
Attachments
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG (198.65 KiB) Viewed 878 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”