This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

French Farmall

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
steveb 90
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

French Farmall

Postby steveb 90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 am

Hello,

New to the forum and a question about a french Farmall.
If i want to find the manual on the site however not in french witch one do i need ?
It is a french farmall build in 1948. The plan is to restore it, had some trouble with not having oil pressure and read somewhere about the allen screw i could use to prime the pump. The tractor has been standing still for al long period.
You may have seen it, i live in belgium and don't speek englisch :mrgreen:

Steven

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: French Farmall

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Steven:

The very early French Cubs were export versions of the North American Model. I have an original manual for a '48 Cub in French for the Canadian market (Quebec), and it would have been the same manual used in France at that point in time. I may even have it scanned, I am not sure.

Btw.. G'day to you. If you have difficulties with English, please feel free to PM me (it is the little square button on the right under my avatar) en francais and I will do what I can to help. I will check to see if I have the manual scanned, but if not I can scan the needed pages in French for you. I will need your email address though.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

steveb 90
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby steveb 90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Rudi,

Thanks for the reply, i am from the dutch speeking side of belgium and my french is much worse then my englisch.
Reading technical englisch is not a real problem i had a lot of experience with my landrover manuals.
So if i take the cub from america version 1948 i have the same like mine ?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 pm

You can download a 1949 pdf owner's manual here: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Cub%20Owners%20and%20Operators%20Manuals/1949%20Owner%27s%20Manual%20McCormick%20Farmall%20Cub%205-1-49%20OCR.pdf

There is not much difference between 1949 and 1948. You should be able to tell from the diagrams it it matches what you have. There are also numerous parts manuals and service manuals in pdf form available. Look above in the header for (new) manuals.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Steven:

Yes basically that would be correct. McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49 or you can use the pdf that Bob pointed to.

Where in Belguim are you? My youngest daughter spent a fair amount of time in Wetteren -- in the Flemish sector. If there is anything I can do let me know. I am much the same, my French is ok, my German is better but I am not as fluent as I used to be
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

steveb 90
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby steveb 90 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks guys, very useful

I am from tessenderlo, a small town in Limburg.
I hope to start the cub next week, i orderd a distributor cap however it is the wrong one, i already have a spark on the ignition coil so i hope it wil fire up :D
Dont know how good the carbu is, i think the last time it had gas was very long ago.
The thread used on the cubs is this withworth ? i snapped one bolt on the rad and need to get new thread in it.

Steven

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:25 am

The oil pump can be primed by the hole INSIDE the oil filter housing. Easier than the allen screw (there are two that can be used).

If you take the carb apart to clean it, be careful as there is a long idle tube on one half. Easy to break if you don't know it's there.

IH parts manuals list the dimensions of fasteners (bolts). This may help on the radiator:
http://www.farmallcub.info/tc37f_db/tc3 ... 013-02.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 am

steveb 90 wrote:The thread used on the cubs is this withworth ?

The bolt on the French Cub is the same used on the US Cub. It is 5/16"-18 NC and is 7/8" long. The Whitworth thread may be the same but I am not all that familiar with British threads. The thread pitch may be a bit different.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

IH made their own bolts or at least had them made. I would suspect they used the same in France. The markings were originally a 'dot' on the head. Later they were 'IH' and in the 70's were 'UR' (or something similar).

7/8" is hard to find here (and some of them are actually 3/4"). Could be worth having a shipment of stuff from TM sent over? http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/648fp.htm
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 am

Thread type will be Unified (UN) - 60deg, just like metric threads only on the inch scale. Whitworth is 55deg with a different, more rounded peak profile. None are interchangeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Steven:

I would echo Larry's recommendation. Tom and Lynn at TM Tractor regularly ship to Europe and they are really good and really reasonable. In fact Tom and Lynn ship to me here in Canada cause it is usually cheaper than getting stuff from a local CaseIH dealer (well local is 50kms away).

All the parts you need they have. You may also need a helicoil if you cannot extract that bolt. If so let us know and we can point you to a good source. The link that Larry pointed you to is searchable which is kinda cool - the original Manuals are here - Cub Parts Manuals. They are also available in pdf format - [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php](NEW) Manuals[/url]. Pick which one you prefer.

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

you can easely determine wether your cub is a french or a US one by reading the serial tag.

US cubs are F CUB
French Cubs are FF CUB

because french cub production started in 1956, your 48 (are you sure with the date? never heard about such early importation) can't be a french one.

french cub are identical to their US cousins, except for electrical components (starter, distributor, generator, regulator, lights...) and carburator (solex 26 VBN instead of IH carb).

the french Super cub has some more differences such as clutch, governor, foot throttle, and rear left axle housing (trumpet).
(in this case it's a FFS CUB)

bye
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

steveb 90
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby steveb 90 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:39 am

Carburator is a solex. Not sure of the year of the cub.
I was told because of the form of the seat it is a french cub.
The trick with the oilfilter work verry wel, no i have oil pressure

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Steven:

What is the serial number of the Cub? That will help identify it. Lower front bolster right side behind steering shaft.

Return to “Farmall Cub”