This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HP Officejet Pro 8600

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

HP Officejet Pro 8600

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I do quite a bit of printing, including the newsletter for our local tractor club, and my old Laserjet was getting worn, so about a year and a half ago I bought a Kodak Office printer intending for it to take over the duties, but it was not a good idea. After messing with it for quite a while, I have now replaced it with an HP Officejet 8600 Premium. I have been using it for a couple weeks and giving it a pretty good workout, I have been impressed. It prints at a speed rivaling the older lasers, and the ink cartridges while not as cheap as the Kodak print much longer and the cost per page is lower than a laser. Automatically prints on 2 sides, will scan and copy 2 sides, as well as fax 2 sided documents. The 8600, come in 3 versions, and I bought the Premium which comes with two 250 sheet trays, in addition it also came with a full set of starter ink cartridges, plus a set of full size color cartridges. The black and 3 colors are all separate cartridges, so you can replace them as needed, including the individual colors. It comes with some pretty decent scanner software, including scan to pdf. Pictures look fairly good, but it is NOT a photo quality printer, it is a business printer, with wifi and e-print capabilities.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600

Postby Barnyard » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 pm

That's a nice looking set up you got there John. It looks like it should handle just about anything you can throw at it for quite awhile.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Forgot to mention, it can be bought on Amazon for under $200 last time I looked

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 pm

My sister bought the same unit recently, and so far really likes it.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:51 pm

We have had one for about six months and it has been a great machine. The only negative feature so far we have found is if you run out of any ink color,say red or yellow it will not print anything , even a black and white document ,until you replace the cartridge.
I have replaced all of the cartridges with the double ink size it makes more sense price wise. Regular cartridge here is about $20 and he double is around $29, if I remember correctly.
"Work smarter; Not harder"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Wakulla Bill wrote:.....The only negative feature so far we have found is if you run out of any ink color,say red or yellow it will not print anything , even a black and white document ,until you replace the cartridge.
I have replaced all of the cartridges with the double ink size it makes more sense price wise. Regular cartridge here is about $20 and he double is around $29, if I remember correctly.
About all the color printers that monitor and report ink levels are that way. Older ones that just printed till they ran dry would let you print black and white if a color was empty, but not the newer ones of most any brand.

I also agree as to the cartridges, as mine run dry they will all be replaced with the XL series, it costs much less per page.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:52 am

I have the previous version (8500) and have had it for a year and a half. I have been very impressed with the capabilities of the printer. It is a very versitile printer/copier/scanner.
The only thing we have struggled with is ink cartriges. You can refill the cartriges, but there is an expiration date within the cartrige. After that date, the printer will no longer print using that cartrige. This basically forces you to replace all your cartriges roughly annually. This is not a big issue if you print a lot. If you don't print a lot, don't buy the large capacity cartriges.
Don't pre-buy cartriges and set them on the shelf.
It also didn't work well with knockoff cartriges either. The date stuff was ok with the offbrand cartrige, but the printer always thought it was out of ink. Problem was solved when we put HP cartriges back in.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am

Outdoors, I did a little research on your out of date problem, and apparently the ink thickens and tends to clog the system if it is old. I do know that at the speed these things print it takes a special ink and cartridge to keep up. The date is probably soon enough to ensure no problems rather than being close t the date. Of course ensuring more sales also helps. According to their site you can over ride the message and continue printing, but probably have to do it for each print job.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”