This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle won't stay at high RPM

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dgerwig
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20141
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo-Boy 154
Craftsman YT4500 54" mower
Wheel Horse(Kohler KT17S)
Kubota T1600 - sweet!

Throttle won't stay at high RPM

Postby dgerwig » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:18 am

Gentlemen,

Greetings! I am a new 154 owner and I am in LOVE with it. There are many things I love: (1) I look at the engine and I know what everything is!! I cleaned out the carb/fuel filter and had to put the sediment bowl on by feel saying "there's the screen, there's the gasket, bowl is in place properly. I feel the protrusions for the clamp holding the bowl" Nice. Brings back many memories. ('course the Mrs "mentioned" how bad I smelled) (2) most things (so far) are easy to get to (3) I love that there is a group such as this to read-up on what my Brothers-In-Cub have already figured out.........but, I digress. I've got the usual problems - clutch - PTO clutch etc but for now I have 2 questions for those in the know:

1 - Turn up the throttle too fast and it dies

2 - After increasing the throttle slowly (see question 1), the throttle glides back almost to idle again

Thank you to all who have posted over the years - to those of us new cubs, it is valuable beyond words.

Cheers

David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle won't stay at high RPM

Postby twotone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

I had the same problem with my 154 when I replaced the throttle lever and cable. I didn't tighten up the lever mounting bolts enough to create enough friction to keep the lever up. as far as the engine dies, maybe starving for fuel? Next time it starts to die, pull the choke and see if it keeps running.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 am

Turn out the angling screw at back of carb about 1/8 turn and try again. Tighten up the clamp that holds the wound outer cable.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 am

The first thing we need to do is to tighten up the lever swivel tention screw before we install the new throttle cable on any tractor. Don't ask me how i know this. Well we can't tighten it up later because of the access on some of these tractors. I just drill a small hole in the dash housing later for a phillips screw driver for access if need be, i'm not removing the cable on the used throttle cables when they wear.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”