This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

trailer or people hauler

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub (Family Bought New)
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

trailer or people hauler

Postby southernthunder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 pm

I am looking for ideas for something neat looking to pull behind my 1950 cub for the family to ride in. On my friends Massey Harris Pacer we redesigned a tobacco drag with stained wood seating for up to 8 people to ride in. I was thinking about using some type of trailer that would haul the cub and then maybe have removable seating that could be installed on site. This would simplify getting to and from events which requires 2 vehicles with the setup we built for him. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: trailer or people hauler

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 am

Cub brakes, especially on an early Cub, are not going to be up to the task. If you are on level ground and the brakes are in good condition you may be OK, BUT...
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 am

It will have new brakes and we don't have or plan to go parade riding in the mountains. Most of local area is very flat.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 am

When I give rides, we use bales of hay, because they're soft and comfortable, plus if the riders are city-slickers, it creates a "farm" atmosphere. Maybe carry bunch of bales on your truck, then when the Cub comes off, you'd throw them on the trailer for the riders? Of course you'd need sideboards on the trailer, so nobody falls off.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am

I will try to attach a pic of what we use now. I want something similar, but would like to be able to haul it all in 1 trip.
Attachments
IMG_201303203924.jpg
IMG_201303203924.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
IMG_2013032043564.jpg
IMG_2013032043564.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 3460 times

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 am

I have a 4' x 8' skidoo/snosled trailer that is licensed for the road. It also serves as a yard trailer. It has side boards similar to what is on the trailer with the Pony. So, I would suggest that you possibly consider a road mobile trailer that could handle the Cub along with some hay and poof there you go. Haul it all in one load and haul the trailer behind the Cub - on a 5 x 9 or a 6 x10 trailer that you can equip with sideboards. You would have to come up with screw jacks or something similar to hold the trailer level as you load/unload the Cub and can be retracted or turned horizontal (Peter Person did something like that on his tandem). Once the Cub is out of the trailer, it can be disengaged from the tow vehicle and hooked up to the Cub. Hay bales or latched type buckboard seating could then be installed. The hay/buckboard style seating could be hauled in the bed of your pickup nicely. Would take a little thought on the anchoring details but that should work. Even a properly sized landscaping trailer with the gate removed would work as long as it is rated for the Cub.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

My main concern is the same as Buzzard Wings. Brakes on the Cub is always a concern when towing any weight. My Cub has great brakes, better than most, but even the best Cub brakes don't work well when going backwards. Even holding its own weight on a grade with the tractor pointed up hill is difficult. I know mine requires me to almost stand on them to keep it from rolling backwards if the tractor is facing up even the slightest hill. Add to that the weight of a trailer and people and things can get scary real fast. Eight people @ 150#'s each is 1200 lbs. which is about the weight of a Cub, plus the trailer weight.

I used my Cub to pull a small trailer in a parade with kids on it. My main concern was, what would happen if the parade came to a stop while I was ascending a hill on the parade route? To alleviate my fears, I dropped back a bit when a hill was encountered so if things slowed or came to a brief stop I could throttle back to a crawl and not find myself in a situation where I would need to come to a complete stop and rely on my brakes to hold us on the hill. Whatever you come up with, keep in mind the limited braking ability of the Cubs.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm

This idea will probably fly in the face of all safety but I'll throw it out there anyway and take my lumps. :D

If the trailer had an electric brake axle could you rig up a 12V battery to power a brake controller and use the paddle on the controller to brake the trailer?

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Peter, that sounds like a good solution if you operate the tractor/trailer in a hilly location. Some of the brake boxes now are activated by the deceleration of the tow vehicle instead of the position of the brake pedal applied. I am not sure if it would operate properly at the slower speeds of a cub or not. The old pacer above doesn't have great brakes either, but that is not an issue where we normally use these at

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Attached is a picture of what I haul my cub on. It only has 12 inch high sides, so you may want higher ones for hauling people. It would not be too hard to make folding seats along the side that would fold down to haul the cub, and raise up with a leg under them for passengers. My trailer is 12 feet long, and it is necessary to back the cub onto it to prevent it from being tail heavy. There are D-ring tie downs inside for anchoring it. One thing to remember though, is that even a little 12 foot trailer like this weighs 1100 pounds, so you need to take the number of passengers and their weight into consideration.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

John, something similer to that is what I was thinking about. I would really like to put something a little older and more eye catching behind it but that may require me to scrap my tractor hauling idea and just haul/pull both pieces.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

If you put stake pockets an something like John's and added wooden sides you would get the older effect. The electric brake with a manual controller is like the old trolly brake we used to have back when I was driving truck. If I were stopped on a hill and sliding backwards with a load of people on I would try to go forward and crossways to the road to lessen the strain on the brakes. If there was not enough room for that you are following too close. Then again you could stand on the brake and gently back cross wise to stay stopped. This is not a preferred way to do it but just as a last resort to prevent injury to people. Of course if you have the proper person on the trailer with large blocks they or it could be dropped behind the tractor wheels to hold you stopped. They better be big blocks or you will drive right over them.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm

This is CTdave's 629 Trailer fully decked out for Halloween several years ago.

I'm sure if you were creative you could take a trailer like Johns' and turn it into something that looks like this.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I have considered a Pioneer 1 ton wagon gear for "Cub People Mover." wheel base adjustable from 66" to 96". Bed is 56" X 108". Seems ideal to me.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Projects Forum”