This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pallet Rack Standards

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Pallet Rack Standards

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Watching "Savage Family Diggers" on TV last night. They use a pair of rack standards and cross members to wench a statue out of the ground. Set the standards and cross members over the hole, another bar across the two top cross members to hold the wench.

Thought that would be an easy method of supporting one half of cub during a split. Once finished the rack can be easily disassembled and stored along the shop wall.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Pallet Rack Standards

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I bet you just happen to know where to find some rack standards too. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I bet you just happen to know where to find some rack standards too. :lol:
Yes I do. Getting to the bottom of the pile. Used a lot, gave away some and sold some.

Son wanted to build a permanent wench supporting system inside the shop building we had constructed this past summer to load and unload heavy items. Since I still have more than enough standards and cross members to make a wench supporting system - will put it on my to do list.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I used pipe scaffold, for my first cub splitting support. Heavy angle iron across the top, was used to support the winch. Did the job. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Eugene:

That is exactly what my buddy Gord used 20 years ago when he started restoring his Cub, used a come-a-long as a winch. He had access to some racking from work, and that is what he uses as his splitting frame. Works real good. If you can find em at reasonable prices they can be useful. Make great storage units after you are all done with the splitting :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Eugene wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I bet you just happen to know where to find some rack standards too. :lol:
Yes I do. Getting to the bottom of the pile. Used a lot, gave away some and sold some.

Son wanted to build a permanent wench supporting system inside the shop building we had constructed this past summer to load and unload heavy items. Since I still have more than enough standards and cross members to make a wench supporting system - will put it on my to do list.

You know, we're going to need pictures. Image
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm

At one time I had 100 or more of the pallet rack standards, each 26 feet long. Worked in the maintenance dept and we replaced bent up rack legs/standards. All I need to remove the standards was a permit signed by the supervisor. At that time scrap metal was $19- a ton. Cheaper for the company to give away scrap metal than to pay two guys several hours wages to load up and haul to scrap yard. Scrap dealers wouldn't come out and pick up scrap metal.

Company closed out a remote storage building they had been renting and had to remove all equipment. Son and I took all of the standards and cross members.

I have used the standards and cross members to make 3 work benches, quite a number of storage racks and one permanent deer stand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Eugene wrote:... and one permanent deer stand.
I remember those photos. :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:

You mean these? Around here, used 10' uprights are about $20.00 apiece and the bars are $10.00 apiece.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Winfield Dave wrote:
You mean these? Around here, used 10' uprights are about $20.00 apiece and the bars are $10.00 apiece.
Someday I may need to head "around here" with an empty trailer and a pocket full of cash. :lol:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 am

Verrry Interesting. More pictures please.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am

Barnyard wrote:Image
randallc wrote:Verrry Interesting. More pictures please.
Not sure what additional information is needed.

Work benches are made by cutting two standards to table height length, adding 4 cross members. 2 cross members for the top and the other two for a shelf. A 2 x 4 laid flat fits in the notch seen in bottom right cross member.

Storage shelving, the braces in the standards are cut off of one side, then cut to desire length. Slid together, squared, welded.

Bottom 2 or 3 feet on one side of the standard is usually damaged. Hardest part in building a project is to cut the bottom off square and making sure that when assemble the cross members are level.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:54 pm

I have made several work benches and storage racks from pallet rack standards in addition to the deer stand.

Really nothing difficult about making work benches. You just have to figure out what size you need and what length cross members your have. Top or working surface is made with 2 x 4's laid flat in the cross member's recess and plywood for the working surface. I use 4 cross members to make one work bench. 2 cross members to support the top and the other 2 for a storage area under the top.

I'll explain the storage racks. I cut off the diagonal cross braces adjacent to one of the long members. Grinder to smooth up the cut off area and remove any left over welds. Cut the diagonal cross braces to length desired. Slide together.

My lay out for storage racks was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood with outside dimension marked out. Used the sheet of plywood with lay out to square up the rack legs. Weld.

If bottom of rack legs/standards are damaged, you need to carefully cut to length so that the cross members match up.

Edit: I use to work in the maintenance dept for a large book company. Lots of damaged rack standards. At that time scrap steel was $19- a ton. Cheaper to give away the standards then to pay an employee to haul to scrap yard. I would get a permission slip to remove property. Then on days off son and I would haul off standards.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I have about 5 sets of these plus a work bench made from them in my shed. The cross members did not match the standards, so I knocked the locks off and welded them in place. it would be nice if my shed were that neat and clean now. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Projects Forum”