This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear axle lubrication

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06751

Rear axle lubrication

Postby big moon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 pm

I was planning on draining the gear oil from the rear axles. Then refilling. Currently I have a fast hitch set-up on the tractor. Are there fill and overflow plugs behind where the fasthitch mounts to the tractor? I can't find them.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear axle lubrication

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 pm

one is, one should be where you can see it
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Another method is that you can remove the bolts from the final drive oil pans, drop the pans, clean , fill to just below the rim with gear oil and reinstall.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:10 am

One big mess if you fill just below the rim. You need to account for displacement by the bull gear.
These photos from our sponsor, TM Tractor

big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06751

Postby big moon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies, and the pictures. I was thinking about removing the fast hitch anyways for cultivating. So I could have more clearance.
To get at the rear axle pan do you guys remove the wheel first to get better access?

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 am

I agree Bob but it ensures enough fluid is in place, most folks don't want to hassle with removing and reinstalling a FH. Plus I always like to clean out the sludge in the oil pans and install new gaskets because this area is normally neglected over the years. I stick the gaskets in place with sealant to eliminate slippage.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 am

I recamend that you fill it to the fill hole. I have seen the upper bearing fail due to not enough oil. I went along with the pan deal until I ran into this problem.
Some will say that it will help with leaks, if your seals are in good condition it will not leak with the correct amount of lube in the finial. Clean the pan, but fill to the proper level.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”