This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Vermicomposting

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Vermicomposting

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I have been thinking about doing this for years and have finally started taking steps to do this.
Are any of you doing this and if you are do you have any advice on this venture.
Thanks Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Vermicomposting

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Bill,

I've never done it so can't help with experience, however, the folks at UF in Gainesville have prepared this information that may be helpful. http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/lawn_and_garden/vermicomposting.html

There is a boatload of information at http://www.searchedu.com type vermicompost in the search bar and you will get lots of helpful unbiased research information for many universities.

Hope this helps.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for those links Bill, I have been doing alot of research on various sites but did not even occur to me to look at the UF site.
I already got a hold of some 12"pvc pipe for the bins,wanted 24" but could not put my hands on any. I will probally put up the bin construction on the projects forum.
Bill

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Search for worm castings. There is a farm in the neighborhood that has a business selling worm castings as fertilizer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Eugene ,The castings are definitley a great by product, picked up some last year cheap from a local man raising worms in his garage.
Made some worm cast tea and sprayed it on the garden and my mothers rose bushes, the roses had more blossoms than we ever had in the past. The tea is a great fertilizer and it also will deter some insect problems when applied often.
Bill

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 pm

We have a worm compost bin in the mudroom. They eat all the vegetable scraps and paper out of the shredder. Make a lot of tea and worm castings. They are great fertilizer and the worms multiply like rabbits

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”