This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cleaning my cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06751

Cleaning my cub

Postby big moon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 pm

I removed the gas tank/hood from my 55 cub as I plan to give everything a going over, I hopw this will help to familiarize myself to the cub and hopefully catch things that need fixing or repair. Now that the hood is off and I can see everything I realize that everything is covered with dirt oil and grease. What is the best way to clean/degrease everything? I doubt this tractor has been cleaned in many years.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Re: Cleaning my cub

Postby Jdbfish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

I used a pressure washer with simple green and the purple cleaner from home depot. in the places that still had grease after the pressure wash i used a grease and wax remover from parts plus, an auto paint store, with scrapers, brushes, screwdrivers etc. oven cleaner works good to but will also remove paint. Either way, it takes lots of elbow grease....

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Pressure spray, it's fast and inexpensive. Warm weather. Avoiding the generator/alternator as best I can. Let tractor dry out for 2 or 3 days before restarting the engine.

Tractor on trailer - car wash. Local car wash has several detergent settings and a steam cleaner in one of the bays. $10- and you leave the grim on the floor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Be VERY careful with the pressure washer, it will put water(and dirt) where you don't want it. Also it can make swiss cheese out of the radiatior. Don't ask how I know, someone else did the radiatior thing.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm

If you spend an hour or so with a putty knife on the thick buildup, it will make the washing a lot easier.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Use a plastic putty knife. Less paint scratching.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”