This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's it worth??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jrob69
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: K9J6X5
Tractors Owned: 48, 56, 56 and 58 FCub

What's it worth??

Postby jrob69 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am

Looking at a magneto style cub a little ways away from me so I'm just doing my homework before I go look at it. There is white paint showing on some parts so could be a 50 demo but waiting for serial # to confirm. It will probably be a parts tractor for me.What do You think its worth??
:help:
The Good

• good rubber on rear
  • nice rims (no calcium in the tires)
  • rear wheel weights
  • touch control hyd
  • nice looking straight tin
  • comes with decent looking sickle mower

The Bad

• missing original front rims replaced by small spare tires from car
  • missing lights (one light post remains)
  • no universal mounting frame
  • no rockshaft assembly or lifting rod
  • they say it starts but won't stay running
  • missing start motor

Thanks for your help

John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: What's it worth??

Postby cub47 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 am

jrob69 wrote:It will probably be a parts tractor for me.What do You think its worth??

If it is a parts tractor, $500-$750. Be sure you check it over for any cracks or welds.

Implements vary in price depending on condition and if they are complete.

You'll get a million different opinions, it is basically what you are comfortable spending.

The fact you can hear it run is a plus.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:50 am

If it will be a parts tractor, break it down on paper, what the parts you will need, will cost on the open market.

If you will have parts left over after the 2 equal out, buy it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am

John:

The Bad

• missing original front rims replaced by small spare tires from car
  • missing lights (one light post remains)
  • no universal mounting frame
  • no rockshaft assembly or lifting rod
  • they say it starts but won't stay running
  • missing start motor

Used rims and tires or just rims are pretty inexpensive and available. New tires from Tucker or Hamilton Bob's are a real bargain. Not much of a downer.

First the Universal Mounting Frame is part of the Cub-144 Cultivator and a few other implements and is not part of the basic Cub package. Not having it there is meaningless when it comes to the value of the Cub itself.

Head posts are pretty cheap, there is a pair of really spiffy ones on :eBay: at the moment and not expensive at all.

No Rockshaft assembly or lifting rod? These were also options that would have been associated with the Touch Control option.

Missing starter - starters were an option at one time. Magneto equipped Cubs often did not have starters since they used a hand crank and not a battery to start em up.

So that takes care of the Bad. Now to the Good

Having the Touch Control is a plus. As for the missing rockshaft assembly and the lifting rod, suggest you query him when you go see it. It may be in the barn or out behind the barn in the scrap pile. One never knows.

Having a good Cub-22 with the tractor is a plus.

Good tin, rear tires, rims and rear weights are all pluses.

This does not sound like a parts tractor to me but a runner. The problems associated with it staying running is probably fuel circuit related and a good cleaning, draining the old gas and making sure there is no crud in the tank or the circuit will solve it. You may find that this Cub is not a parts cub at all but a real runner.

Look for cracks and welds in all the usual places - that will determine the viability of the Cub. If no cracks or welds, then this one probably will be worth much more than a simple parts tractor.

Price - now it if was a non-runner with dings, dents, cracks, welds etc., then $300.00 to $600 would be a fair price in my mind. If this is a runner with all those good points then you have to add in their value as well - the Cub-22 depending on it's actual condition can be worth anywhere from $75.00 - $250.00. Without pics, it is hard to say, but if it is a runner then north of $1,000.00 will be closer and maybe $1,250.00 to $1,700.00. Again it all depends on condition. Location is a concern too - what is the going price for a good running Cub in Southern Ontario?

I know, it is now clearer than mud. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am

Lott's of cubs in Ohio, Round nose runner here $1000 to $1200, with the mower, parts cub $500
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am

John, prices can vary by location. What sells for one price where you live can be lower than in an area where there are more Cubs. It's all about location. Where is the Cub located? Is it in the States? The answers can help determine the price somewhat.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

I did not see he was in Canada, More $$$ up there I expect
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

JC-Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24986
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby JC-Cub » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Boss, What happen to your picture? Hope it didn't fall in the hole!!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 pm

JC-Cub wrote:Boss, What happen to your picture? Hope it didn't fall in the hole!!!

:lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm

David:

Yup, he is up here in Canada. Over a couple provinces - one I was born in but farther north. There should be a bunch of Cubs in southern Ontario as the Holland Marsh is one of the best truck farming areas in the country, Tillsonburg was prime tabbacy country in Ontario. I would imagine that Cubs in Ontario might be a tad more expensive than those in Ohio or farther south. I know the ask is usually higher, the get sometimes not so much.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”