This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Cub Problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
zekie1997
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29349

My Cub Problems

Postby zekie1997 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

You guys have been alot of help in giving advice on my 53 cub rebuild. I have learned a lot. The main thing was make sure you find a good machine shop.

My problem with the engine stalling was Crank out of line, cylinders not correct and oil channels full of all kind of gunk. The oil pressure piston was also full of gunk and stuck. well lessons learned i am sure i will have a good running tractor when i get the parts back and put back together. I have learned alot. I can put the engines together with no probles Thanks again.

I JUST HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. Is there two types of cranks for the cub. I order two on ebay and took them over to the machine shop without checkig them since he was doing that anyway. He called me this afternoon and said one had heaveir counter waits than the other one. I forgot to ask him if they had the same numbers. Any knowledge to this would help me a lot thanks Mark C

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: My Cub Problems

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 pm

One with heavier counterweights was probably form a power unit such as baler or combine. They ran at higher RPM. Alos make sure it is drilled for clutch pilot bearing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 am

There are 2 crankshafts and 2 different styles of rods. You can use new rods on old cranks but you can't use old rods on the newer style crank so be careful. Here is a thread on the topic. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74507&p=598038&hilit=crankshaft#p598038

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:59 am

I'd get the part numbers off the cranks and then report back to us. I just checked several manuals on Rudi's server and there appears to be several choices, ranging from early cranks up through numbered series cranks. It appears that the bailer/thresher crank was the same number as the early crank(251 264 R1) and the revised crank that Bob spoke of was the 527 456 R1 that used different rods and bearings.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:08 pm

There were two types of crankshafts. In the early cubs say about very early 47 IH used a forged steel crankshaft. It was prone to braking at the center main. . I H recalled all the forged steel cranks. But that doesnt mean they all got replaced. All the specks were the same as far as the journels. I have run into a few of the forged steel cranks still going strong. I have a 57 loboy that has a steel crank. It is used hard. I suspect the reason for the steel crank in my 57 is it was rebuilt at sometime with a crank out of a early cub. I have had many power unit engines over the years.I have yet to find a steel crank in any of them.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”