This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35674

New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

Postby StreetGliderX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Well i just bought a Cub tractor today, unsure of the year but its in great shape and i think i got a deal,... it has a set of cultivators and a woods mower for it,... mower is in alot of pieces so i dunno what i need yet... So to get on with the tractor show, it has new bearings and gears all thru the rear end and trans. has great paint, two front working lights, decals, chrome letters, turf tires, new front tires, new seat, 6 volt system all working. all in all great tractor for 2500 i think...

so on with the questions...

#1 tractor has no drawbar. i own a metal fab shop so i plan to build one would love some pics if you guys got some handy. if you could build one what would you want it like?

#2 need mower mount pics, lots of em. cause i dont know how it hooks up or goes back together

#3 what kind of rear lift system could these tractors carry? i would like to be able to carry small implements, mostly the custom made leaf vacuum i plan to build and mount to the rear of the tractor but id like a near factory type lift or a better idea if you have them?

#4 rear lights? be nice to have one..... LOL

thanks for the help folks i really like my little tractor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 pm

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very first new to you Cub. I am sure that you will probably become addicted real quick to it just as so many of us have.

My first suggestion to you would be to read an Owner's Manual - you can find them here - Cub Owner's Manuals. To find out what year your Cub is, check for the serial #. You should find it on the lower right hand side of the tractor looking from the rear forward right under the steering column on the front bolster. For help in identifying your Cub click here - Cub FAQ's #1 on ATIS.

pic courtesy of Cub FAQ's #1

There are lots of resources for our members, pretty much the most unique on the net. We have a great Community and everyone is willing to help. Suggest you grab a comfy chair, some coffee if that is your thing, sit back, relax and follow the links below, there is lots of reading to do. However I do want to stress before you do anything to your Cub, read the Owner's Manual first before you do anything. Familiarize yourself with the manual then with the Cub using the manual as a step by step guide. Enjoy :D

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

Streetglider, welcome to the Forum. To add to what Rudi said, if you click on the manuals link above, you can find manuals for lots of mowers. The two main brands were the IHC (Danco), and Woods. If you would post some photos of what you have it would make it easier to identify. There was only one rear light, which are available used and new. There are different shapes and either 6 or 12 volt depending on the age of of your tractor (and what you have on the front). The Cub has a rear rockshaft that connects to the hydraulic touch control unit. If you look in the "How to" and "projects" forums, you'll find some examples of what others have fabbed for their tractors. You may be able to fab the drawbar, but I almost think you'd need to have one in hand to make it and the mounting brackets. Feel free to ask away as other questions come up.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 am

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. Like they said, do the research, read the manual, and check the forum for sale, section. As questions, the more specific the better. Check out ebay for farmall cub and lots of stuff will come up. Be selective on your buying and you can buy just about anything. With a metal fab shop you will get plenty of ideas about special stuff to build, but like a draw bar, you can probably buy one about as cheap as you can build one. Be sure to change all the fluids, most of the time they need it changed.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 am

I would buy a standard drawbar and drawbar brackets. Any implements you want to mount, including the mower, are all going to be keyed off the factory design plus there s a safety issue too with the pulling point to make sure you don't flip the tractor. The drawbar is dropped down by the proper brackets. You need the correct tapered head bolts, too. The taper bears a lot of pressure on the brackets and locates them so they do not move. Lots of final drive mounting holes have been "wallered out" by loose or incorrect bolts. I would lay out all the mower parts you have and post some pictures. Most of the mowers are IH/Danco or Woods but there are a lot of smaller companies that made mowers too.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 am

welcome to the forum from the deep south , you will be hard pressed to find a better bunch of guys and gal (morning dale :lol: ) . i own a sheet metal/fab shop , and i would buy a used one before making one, for just the reason bob said in the post above . good advice. coppersmythe..............

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am

I've seen quite a few home made drawbars, some pretty nicely made, but none as versitile as the factory item. Many Cub attachments rely on the design of it for proper attachment. Post an ad in the wanted section and I'm sure someone will have one available. Then, you'll have your starting point for mounting your leaf vac or other attachments down the road. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 am

Take a few days off next week and head down to Sneads, FL, where one of the best Cub Fests will be going on: Deep South Cub Fest (aka DSCF http://www.dscubfest.com/) You will meet a bunch of great folks, eat LOTS of great food, learn a lot about working on these tractors and listen to a LOT of BS from the pros!!! :lol:

Also, there will be some folks offering various parts for sale, and I am SURE you will be able to pick up a drawbar with brackets. (I happen to have one! Plus the tapered bolts for mounting it.) The drawbar has a "twist" in the bar at both ends, and, as mentioned, it is rather important to get it right for everything else to function correctly.

You would have loads of fun and learn a lot. You could even BRING your tractor if you want to do some things on it there...just check with Mr E to see if they have room/time for whatever you might want to do.

Have fun, and I look forward to meeting you. Always nice to find another person with the skills to fabricate some hard to find things!!!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am

Welcome to the worldwide family of "cubbers" :{_}: All the info you need is here and these guys will not let you go astray, and will answer any queries you have re almost anything. What they don't know is not worth knowing :big smirk: Good luck and enjoy :{_}:
Donegal Cub :D

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

Welcome to the Forum!!
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Welcome to the best forum on the web. Here's a thread that shows pictures of the various mowers used on the cub - hope it helps:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69129
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Good advice, especially for coming to DSCF! Looks like you would have an easy 6hr drive from your home to Sneads. I will be coming down I-65 from TN and continue on 231. Hope to see you there.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Welcome aboard StreetgliderX!! This is the greatest Cub website on the planet!! I'm excited to have the owner of a fab shop as a member of this forum. With a little imagination and a fab shop at your disposal, you'll come up with all kinds of additions for your new Cub. I hope your Cub has hydraulics, but you didn't say. Can you post pictures of your Cub and mower?

Our friends at TM Tractors has a very helpful website as well as most of your Cubs needs. Click on the following link for possible help identifying you mower;

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gbrochures/brochures.htm

Oh yeah, please post pictures of your creations you fab up for your Cub. We love pictures!!! :big smile:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884

Postby DavidG » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:26 am

You own a metal shop! You'll have so much fun. I'm in the middle of making a bunch of stuff right now and it's super. These little things are so versatile. Make sure you examine a LOT of pictures, or actual implements, to see how they're designed, and where/how the stress is transferred to the the tractor. I take those as my model, because I know the old implements were designed to be safe for the machine.

I agree with others, you should just buy a drawbar. Some implements require that precise design, and almost more importantly, you'll need the drawbar brackets as your model for anything you bolt to those rear implement bolt holes. They have a particular taper, and I think you'd want to copy the original bracket for getting the spacing and taper correct.

The Cub rear lift system is the rear rockshaft ("normal") that attaches to the hydraulic cylinder by a bar, and lifts things up and down. The fast hitch is a special attachment, which gives easier mounting, but also takes up some space. As a farmer, I want to be able to drive over plants, and the fast hitch doesn't work for that.

The rear lift MAX is 600lbs, hung directly below the rear rockshaft. Don't push it. Be SURE you do the math on anything you create; a long implement adds significant weight/leverage to the lifting mechanism\, of course. Also be careful of weight and shock loading on the castings that you're bolting into. All the original implements, as I understand it, were designed so that it would break before the tractor would, or the tractor would stall before it could damage itself. It'd be pretty easy to make something that would be dangerous to the tractor, and to yourself.

Many people have made up their own 3-pt hitches, and in fact there was a thread on that a few weeks ago or so, http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75835&hilit=3+point+hitch

Have fun!
-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 am

It would trip you up on your mower, but a fast hitch would be worth considering. Very versatile way to go with a Cub.

The drawbar is forged. And the hole pattern is critical for stuff like dirt plows.

Welcome to the forum!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”