This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gauges

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Gauges

Postby Jdbfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Found these on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IH-Farmall-CUB- ... 4ab2908b25

I know they are not the original style that came on a 1950 cub but thought they were a good buy for a combo set since both the oil and ammeter gage need replacing. This set also hasatemp gage which would be nice to add if there is a way to do it. Has anyone ever added a temp gauge? If so, how did they do it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gauges

Postby twotone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 pm

My 53 came with a temp guage that screws into the lower radiator hose elbow. The guage is pretty useless as it barely comes off the peg under heavy use, like moldboard plowing.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Jdbfish wrote:Found these on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IH-Farmall-CUB- ... 4ab2908b25

I know they are not the original style that came on a 1950 cub but thought they were a good buy for a combo set since both the oil and ammeter gage need replacing. This set also hasatemp gage which would be nice to add if there is a way to do it. Has anyone ever added a temp gauge? If so, how did they do it?

They are very poor quality. I bought a set to see. junk in my opinion
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm

In response to the temp gauge installation, I drilled a hole in the rear portion of the coolant outlet on top the engine. The outlet has plenty of meat to cut enough threads to hold the temperature probe tight. Even though the probe looks too long, it does fit when tightened down inside the neck.

The gauge I used from Farm n Fleet is mechanical with the thermocouple tube running atop the engine (excess coiled under the fuel tank) to the gauge in the dash which required a metal cutting hole saw to install.

The gauge seems to be accurate... At idle barely coming off the peg and stopping just before the red when running my Woods 59 at over eighty degrees Fahrenheit.

Call me paranoid but the 59 is more mower than a cub can comfortably power so coolant temperature is crucial to monitor.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 pm

I found a picture of my installed temperature sending unit previously posted. The topic was actually about drilling the lower coolant inlet for a block heater. Scroll down about halfway to view the picture.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75026&p=602074&hilit=temperature+sending+unit#p602074
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:In response to the temp gauge installation, I drilled a hole in the rear portion of the coolant outlet on top the engine. The outlet has plenty of meat to cut enough threads to hold the temperature probe tight. Even though the probe looks too long, it does fit when tightened down inside the neck.

The gauge I used from Farm n Fleet is mechanical with the thermocouple tube running atop the engine (excess coiled under the fuel tank) to the gauge in the dash which required a metal cutting hole saw to install.

The gauge seems to be accurate... At idle barely coming off the peg and stopping just before the red when running my Woods 59 at over eighty degrees Fahrenheit.

Call me paranoid but the 59 is more mower than a cub can comfortably power so coolant temperature is crucial to monitor.

Mow my yard (acre +) w/my '59 and a 59" Woods in 2nd gear w/no problem even up the slopes, try not to let it get too far ahead of me but doesn't seem to overheat? Been going for 5 years since I've owned it and who knows what it mowed before (fellow had a small RV park) I got it! Wouldn't try to mow foot high grass down to ground level on the first pass tho! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

A properly adjusted Woods 59 is the best mower I've ever used and it doesn't tax even a mediocre running Cub --- if your lawn is mowed in a timely fashion. Timely fashion (in Ohio and most of the midwest and east) is never mowing of more than 1/3 of the leaf blade. I do mow our lawn a lot, essentially every other day. I cut the lawn to a 3" height and mow when the grass is 4 to 4.5". The Cub with the 59 does a great job. Yup, the lawn is fertilized 4 times per year and I like mowing (it's the only farming I get to do :) )

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”