This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need advice I just bought a 55 cub tractor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06751

Need advice I just bought a 55 cub tractor

Postby big moon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello everyone, I just bought a 55 cub tractor, I will be using it for a small scale market garden. It came with front and rear cultivators, land plow, homemade spring tooth harrow and a set of disc bed hillers. The tractor is in original condition and it runs well. The problem that I am concerned with is that when shifting into a gear it makes a grinding sound for a second. Once it is in gear it runs fine and no problems. THe only way I have found to prevent making the grinding sound is if it is in reverse press the clutch and let it roll a little then it will slide into gear without a sound. It is winter now and would like to make the necessary repairs before spring. I bought a service manual, operators manual, and a parts manual for it. SO I am hoping to do the work myself and hopefully learn about this tractor that I plan to have for a long time. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need advice I just bought a 55 cub tractor

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm

You may only need to adjust the clutch , or it may be sticking in the pilot bushing
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Try waiting an extra 10 or 15 seconds after pushing the clutch completely in before you go into gear. Takes a while for things to stop spinning in the tranny and I sometimes get in a hurry to change gears! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Engage the PTO and watch the shaft (assuming it is not driving any attachments). When it stops, the transmission gears have stopped. If it takes a long time for the PTO shaft to stop spinning (or does not stop at all) after engaging the clutch, I refer you to Boss's post above.
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Just in case you are not familiar with it, tractors do not have synchronized transmissions, so to shift on the fly takes some practice.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

First off, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, a combination of what LeeC and Dusty said above is this: When watching the PTO turning, time it to see how long it takes for the PTO shaft to stop once the clutch pedal is depressed. That amount of time would be the minimum you'll need to wait 'til the shaft stops spinning in order to shift the tranny w/o any grinding.

Again, welcome to the best place on the web for all things CUB!! :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Not sure what the temps are up in Conn but check your gear box for water and the right amount of gear oil. When I got mine it had about a quart of water in the gear box and the gears would grind before going in. once water was drained and gear oil was added the grinding stopped.

I also took the shifter off and flushed it out with deisel fuel before adding the gear oil.
Pete from Virginia Beach

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Welcome.
big moon wrote:Any suggestions on how to proceed from here.
100% fluid change and lubrication per the operator's manual. Check antifreeze. After spring warm up flush the engine block and lower radiator housing.

Clutch adjustment is located to the left of the clutch pedal below the operator's platform. There may not be any adjustment left, throwout bearing worn out. In this case you will need to split the tractor and replace the throwout bearing.

Transmission is not synchronized. You need to let the transmission stop before trying to shift gears. If the transmission does not easily shift, you need to gently let out on the clutch to line up the gears in the transmission. Same action with the PTO.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Make sure you grease the throw out bearing.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby big moon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 am

Wow Thanks so much for all the responses, I really appreciate it. I am glad I joined this site. I can tell there are a lot of avid cub fans that know their stuff. I am hoping I don't have to split the tractor in half. Hopefully if will be one of the other things mentioned. Since I am new to this cub what are some basic tune-up things I should do to it or check for? I am planning on doing the oil and oil filter, fuel filter, possibly spark plugs, check the air filter. Check all fluid levels. Possibly drain and replace. What am I missing?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 am

big moon wrote:What are some basic tune-up things I should do to it or check for?
For your first tune up conduct compression tests, adjust the valve tappet clearance. Check and perhaps adjust ignition timing - may not need to replace any parts unless there is a problem.

Definitely drain the transmission/differential (it's one unit) and replace fluid. Reason, tran/diff has a tendency to accumulate water from condensation.

Some commonly forgotten services. Air filter needs to be cleaned and oil replaced. To lubricate the distributor and distributor drive, you may still have plugs that need to be removed and grease zerks installed. Lubricate the wick under the distributor rotor. Lubricate the fan.

Operator's manual has a list of lubrication points and recommended lubricants.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am

welcome , and good luck with your cub, I also have a 55
Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

Yes, owners manual and service manual will be your best bet at this point; as it sounds you're not that familiar with engines....especially Farmall Cubs. If you didn't understand properly, the air filter doesn't have an actual element to replace/clean. It has a cup of oil that traps dirt and other objects. You'll also want to check/drain and replace the Hy-Tran (hydraulic oil) in the TC Resivoir (hydraulic lift resivoir).
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very first new to you Cub :big smile:

big moon wrote:Any suggestions on how to proceed from here. Thanks

Simply answer. You said you already bought the Owner's Manual for it. Before you do a darn thing -- sit down, grab a coffee or two and READ THE MANUAL :!: That would be the single most important thing you can do. Then once you have read it, take it outside with you and familiarize yourself oh the Cub with everything you have just read.

Then, you will be armed with enough basic knowledge to go over your Cub from stem to stern, and do the required maintenance on it before you tear into. One of the worst things one can do is to start tearing into your Cub with no clue. Reading is the single most important tool you have. Use it.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby big moon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks again for the advice everyon, I do have a lot to learn. I will read and reread the manual and start going through everything. I already found I had some more clutch adjustment left. I haven't tried it out yet. Hope it works.

Return to “Farmall Cub”