This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Disable Vet who may need some help

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
David Stanton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28352

Disable Vet who may need some help

Postby David Stanton » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:15 am

:lost: Morning Guys
Bought a 49 cub a couple of years ago ; And done a lot of work on it replacing belts , Plugs & points wires ; Oils , New Carb , Front tires and simple things ; Great day when I got it to fire up the first time :D Being a city boy and all ; Since that day I have rebuilt the starter & Gen ; but I did not jump the wire right between the gen and Voltage reg and it burned up the points ( doing that time a uncle junked my hand crank ) Knowing what it was and made about .15 on it MAYBE LOL ; And doing the time it was running ( Like a new one I might add ) I must have hit something going threw the bushes here on my mini farm ; Now the right wheel is turned inward . I loosing all the bolts and sprayed 40 on the tie rod assm ; however could not get anything to move ; nothing looked bent ; So i think it just knocked in a tie rod end or something . Since it did not run at the time because of the points ; and I had no crank to install the new one's it has sat under a tree for the last 1.5 years . In the meantime I have bought a new crank , Points ; And plan it put it back together now . I'm a disable vet on social security ; So the dollars are tight on a fixed income . I also have emphysema & C.O.P.D ; and that tiller doe's me in pretty quick . The wife is now planting seeds in the house to get ready for spring ; and we also need to plant as much food as we can due to the way things are now . So my plan's are to plow up as much land as I can . Anyway I may be needing a little help here to get the cub right again ; May have some questions from time to time on the cub . Many thanks looking foreward to talking with ya'll

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Disable Vet who may need some help

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 am

We will help you any way we can
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

49 cub would originally had pointed setscrews holding the steering knuckle to the shaft. Most likely the one pointing inward has broken or been replaced with a different type. Usually not too hard to remove the setscrew and work the knuckle arm off the spindle, then use a small punch through the hole on the backside of the shaft and tap the broken point out, then install new setscrew.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

David Stanton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28352

Postby David Stanton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 am

Many Thanks John ; That sure helps ; Will be trying that soon as it warms back up and it drys back out from that storm we had last night . Think you saved me alot of work , worry , And money ! Cause I had no idea what was wrong with it

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

Hey David, disabled vet here as well. Lot of vet's on the board. Thanks for your service. You will find the answer to your problems here, that is for sure. And if you need help dealing with the VA, let me know, i battled em for years to get my case straightened out.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:49 cub would originally had pointed setscrews holding the steering knuckle to the shaft. Most likely the one pointing inward has broken or been replaced with a different type. Usually not too hard to remove the setscrew and work the knuckle arm off the spindle, then use a small punch through the hole on the backside of the shaft and tap the broken point out, then install new setscrew.
It's a conical shaped set screw holding the steering knuckle to the shaft. Removal and replacement is as John stated.

My Cub, the cone shaped hole in the spindle has been wallowed out some what. I carry an adjustable (Crescent) wrench in the tool box to periodically tighten up the set screw.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 am

Thank you for your service, David.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 am

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for serving your country.
Last edited by Mike in Louisiana on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our country!

Here's a picture of the bolt/set screw in question for your '49 Cub:

(picture courtesy TM Tractor)

They are available from one of our site sponsers, TM Tractor. Found here: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/563fp.htm (and link at bottom of this page).
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

David:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on getting the '49 having the desire to play with it and learn to farm a bit. Follow the links below - all the information you need is available in the Owner's Manual, Parts Catalog and the Service Manuals. That will give you some visual help as well.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

David Stanton wrote:I'm a disable vet on social security ; So the dollars are tight on a fixed income . I also have emphysema & C.O.P.D ; and that tiller doe's me in pretty quick

I am also a disabled vet on a very fixed income so I do understand the need for frugality. Been 20 years - raised a family as a disabled vet. I now have COPD and PF along with many other issues, so I can really identify with the ease at which you get tuckered out. There are days sometimes weeks that I just cannot get motivated to do much and when I do it takes next to no exertion to put me back down on the chair or back in bed. A pushem snowblower, lawnmower or tiller just isn't in the cards arnymore for me. That is one of the reasons why I build stuff for Ellie my '48.

Oh. WD-40 is not a really good penetrating oil - in fact it is not a penetrating oil at all - it is a water displacement fluid and is great for those purposes. To loosen up stuff suggest you use a proper penetrating oil such as Solvo-Rust, PB Blaster, Nut Busster, Kroil etc., They are far better at that job.

You will have lots of help from our members here, and I am sure that there are a number close to you in North Carolina. Check out our CubFest and Gatherings Calendar 2013 and if you can, make plans to attend a CubFest close to you. It is time and resources well spent and you will enjoy yourself as well as make friends
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Introduce Yourself”