This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer on the farm.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Deer on the farm.

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Not really seeing any big bucks on the farm yet. But I feel the year round feed plots are working. The deer look to be carrying a lot more weight than they have in years past. And healthier deer should become bigger deer.

My cousin Gary and I went to the farm last week. Didn't do much just checking on things and snowmobiling after we got his sleds back from the shop.

Went on a 1.6 mile or more walk to pick up my deer cams. Ya ever use a snowball for toilet paper? Its a chilling experience let me tell you! Made it back to just about 300 yards of the gate and just had to go. All pine trees around no birch bark or anything. Its hard to peel off all those cloths enough to go and stand leaning back with a hand against a tree. The first two snowballs weren't real bad but three and four were. But I think it did better than toilet paper. But its really taking conservation of natural resources too far!

A yearling spike by the trailer.

A bigger spike

A nice four point at my Dad's old hunting spot.

Cought someone out shining.

And another nice spike.

My brother Tommy got his first buck last year at Dad's spot. Now I need to get caught up and get my first buck.

I didn't get time to build a hunting cabin last year. So I just through a floor in a log shack I built 30+ years ago when I was in high school. And found it was too high. If I had seen a buck I would have had to shoot way down and through the top of their backs. But it was nice to sit out relax and watch the does.

And I ate way too much out there cooking on the 1940's military tent stove.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Deer on the farm.

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Image Thanks for posting.

However, I'll never look at snowballs the same way again!! :roll:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Everybody to their own kick, but around here we would be happy to see no big bucks, or little bucks, and especially no does and I certainly wouldn't be feeding the ones that were there on purpose. I hope to live long enough to see the white tail deer extinct, or at least severely endangered, in eastern NC.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Lots of great information! A little TMI (too much info) on some things... :roll: :lol: :lol:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Billy,

Lot's of deer and other activity, you usually do a good job with "play by play" pictures of your adventures... thanks for leaving the snowball pictures out! :D :lol:
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Super A wrote:I hope to live long enough to see the white tail deer extinct, or at least severely endangered, in eastern NC.
OK. Please define/explain your position on white tail deer.

I have a different opinion, and have not hunted in many years. Deer do damage, but deer hunting provides a large economic impact to the State and local businesses.

23 Jan 13. Unterrified Democrat, Conservation Corner.
Missouri deer hunters harvested a total of 31,304 over the entire season.
Osage (local) County harvested a total of 4,881 deer.
Share the Harvest by hunters in Osage County donated 7320 pounds of lean high protein food for the needy.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I thought those UP bucks were supposed to be big-racked monsters.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Eugene wrote:
Super A wrote:I hope to live long enough to see the white tail deer extinct, or at least severely endangered, in eastern NC.
OK. Please define/explain your position on white tail deer.

I have a different opinion, and have not hunted in many years. Deer do damage, but deer hunting provides a large economic impact to the State and local businesses.

23 Jan 13. Unterrified Democrat, Conservation Corner.
Missouri deer hunters harvested a total of 31,304 over the entire season.
Osage (local) County harvested a total of 4,881 deer.
Share the Harvest by hunters in Osage County donated 7320 pounds of lean high protein food for the needy.

I will admit, I have a hatred of deer that burns with the intensity of a thousand suns! For a majority of the 1980's and early '90s it was difficult to grow a soybean on our farm and farms in surrounding areas due to the deer population explosion. The deer would start eating at the back of the field as soon as the beans emerged and mow them right down the row. We had fields that literally looked like hog pens. Part of the problem at least on our farm was my dad tried to cooperate with the local hunting club, and they only wanted to shoot "bullwinkles." If you called the wildlife commission to come out and issue a permit so you could shoot them out of season they might show up but usually you would get a phone call from Raleigh the day of the appointment saying the wildlife officer was "unavailable." Needless to say they showed no interest in re-scheduling. We tried everything we heard of to repel them---"scent" repellants like panty hose filled with human hair or bars of Ivory soap, raw egg mixed with water and sprayed around the field, we even tried scattering mothballs. We took pie plates and tied them to stakes or tree limbs that would flash in the sun and make noise, we even built scare crows! In the '90s we learned to drill beans, using about twice the normal seed population, and were able to begin to raise decent soybean crops again. It only cost us twice as much in Roundup Ready seed costs. That, coupled with opening the farm to individuals that wanted to actually kill deer for the freezer eased the problem somewhat. We also have had a lot of problems with erosion of farm ditches and canals. Everyone things about how well deer can jump, but they prefer to just waddle down one side of a ditch and drag back up the other side. After a few heavy rains, a wash-out forms.

It is not difficult to drive around at night and if you go to the right spot, see 25+ deer. I have heard of some people counting 100 or more. This is in areas with lots of hunters too.

I have owned 3 vehicles in my life, and every last one of them has sustained deer damage due to collisions. The last wreck we had, involving our new Ford Escape and a doe nearly big enough to saddle up and ride, did nearly $5000 worth. Multiply that by all the other drivers state-wide, and then wonder why car insurance premiums go up. I have heard my dad say many times that he didn't mind feeding the deer, if the state would show up each fall to compensate him for the damages. I agree 100%. I don't know about him but I haven't seen a nickle of that large economic impact from deer hunting. It all stays in the hunting/outdoors/wildlife management sector of the economy. Seems to me at least in our state that the wildlife officials cater exclusively to the sportsmen, at the expense of the landowner and private citizen. I want to emphasize that every state may not be this way, but it has been our experience here.

I don't have a thing against hunters or hunting--besides a tradition, sport, hobby, and way to provide food, it's an important wildlife management tool. But in eastern NC there are simply too many deer.

The only good deer is one whose metabolic processes are a matter of interest only to historians!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

I hear ya, Al. Things are similar around here.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Well...All I can say is,,,I'll never eat another snowball. :sick: :sick: :sick:
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 pm

grumpy wrote:Well...All I can say is,,,I'll never eat another snowball. :sick: :sick: :sick:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cowboy, you got to do like those big ole bears, they use rabbits. :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 am

grumpy wrote:Well...All I can say is,,,I'll never eat another snowball. :sick: :sick: :sick:

And I thought it was just the yellow snow you had to avoid! :shock:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am

Super A wrote: I will admit, I have a hatred of deer that burns with the intensity of a thousand suns! For a majority of the 1980's and early '90s it was difficult to grow a soybean on our farm and farms in surrounding areas due to the deer population explosion.
Understand your position. The deer population has and is exploding in and around urban areas and a significant problem.

When living in Iowa, farmers with crop land adjacent to state parks had major deer caused crop losses. Deer would come out of the State parks (no hunting or shooting allowed) at night and forage. An Iowa Conservation Officer said that he conducted an aerial deer count in late winter. There were to many deer in a State park to count.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 am

Yogie I thought those big ole bears used Charmin. Maybe I'm going to have to stop believing everything on TV.
Al, I can feel a little bit of your pain. I have a tall electric fence around my garden and I still get visits from the local deer population. I went down to the garden one day last summer and a mother deer had knocked down one strand of my fence and hid two young fawns in my squash row. Liked to stress tested my heart rhythm when they jumped up and ran.
Roy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Ricky. Not much been going on here lately just been feeding the stove wood. And I've been without a computer for the last month or more as the hard drive smoked on it.

Al I see both sides as I am starting to farm. But I still love watching and eating them

Stanton I guess I'm just not afraid to let people laugh at me.

David once was enough and I didn't need any pictures either.

Don the DNR planted a wolf pack on our property 10-12 years ago. And the wolf population in the whole UP is out of control. They were supposed to let them be shot when there were 580 wolves UP there. But some eco lawyers sued and banned shooting the excess. Two years ago the DNR figured there were 1600+ and I think that was way low. And the wolves take more fawns and bucks than does. The bucks stop eating during the rut and are too weak to get away from them. I'd be happy to swap Al some wolves for bucks!

Grumpy don't you go where the husky's go don't you eat that yellow or brown snow :wink:

Yogie I wasn't fast enough to catch one.

Bill ya gotta be careful when you're in the UP.

Eugene I don't know what the DNR is doing UP north either. The doe to buck ratio is way out of balance and they are only releasing 5 doe permits for the whole UP and none in our area.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”