This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Secure your Load

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Secure your Load

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am

This happened in our area. Don't know what caused it. Equipment failure? Operator error? The driver did not survive.
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article ... ck_check=1
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Secure your Load

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 am

He probably was moving it a short distance and figured it would take longer to chain down than to move. It only takes an instant for an accident to happen. It's sad to see these things.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

BJ Moretz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28661
Tractors Owned: IHCC Chapter 42
1985 Ford 1310
2007 MF 1533
1942 Farmall M
1970 Farmall Cub
1946 Farmall B
1200 Cub Cadet

Postby BJ Moretz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 pm

He never had a chance. The stopping forces are always the greatest on a load. Like Barnyard said.He was probably on going a short distance. I know people who have done things like that.
BJ Moretz
Member Chapter 42 IHCC
1970 Farmall Cub
1533 MF
1310 Ford
1946 Farmall B
1942 Farmall M
1200 Cub Cadet

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm

I looked the pictures over pretty close, and saw no pictures of chains or binders anywhere in them. In all the pictures the trailer is down in the unloading position, but i suspect when it was raised for transport the floor would have been higher. My guess would be he hit his brakes for traffic and the loader went over the top of the goose neck of the trailer and just slid on forward.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I hate to say it but I have seen people load a tractor on a trailer, leave it in gear, raise the ramps, and take off. Scares me to death to even think about the possibilities.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 pm

So sad to see when it could have been easily avoided. My old dad (may he rest in peace) used to say the time to tie down a load is just after you load it.
Donegal Cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:...;..... My old dad (may he rest in peace) used to say the time to tie down a load is just after you load it.
Donegal Cub.
Some very good advice, wish I had been paying attention to it early last summer. Don't even remember where I was going, but it was supposed to rain the next day, so late at night I loaded my cub on the trailer parked under a metal carport, thinking I would tie it down the next morning in the day light. Got in the truck and pulled it up to house to load some other stuff, and when I looked in the mirror the tractor was rolling backward on the trailer. Thank goodness I had put the tailgate in. Have not waited to tie one down since.

Reading some of the comments, one of the responders said there were chains laying around, and close examination of the pictures showed what appeared to be at least 2 binders laying on the ground. I commented about the front of the trailer being on the ground, but Rabbit Holler Flash said it was locked in the low transport position when he looked at the pictures. If you compare the long building behind it in some of the pictures, it appears he was going down a fairly good grade.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 am

And I always thought log haulers were the one's taking a chance. Course, that's was a heavy load on wheels. Feel for the family.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 am

I worked for a major Flatbed hauling Co. We hauled it if it would fit on the trailer. A lot of steel coils from up north, down to Laredo TX then into MX.

We all went through a full week of training on loading, strapping, and tarping.

New guy gets his first load, a 50k lb steel coil in the middle of winter. The coils were loaded inside the building, and once on his trailer, he asked the loader how they strap them down. :big smirk:

Operator said "most just tarp them and go". So he did. :big smirk: :big smirk:

When he arrived in Laredo several days later, as normal, the safety man helped him untarp his load.

He got fired on the spot.

As we were sitting around talking about it later that day, the safety inspector said that perhaps we should not have fired him. That anyone that can haul a steel coil from the frozen north, to the Rio Grande, with no chains and just a tarp on it without it moving

Is a darn good driver. :big afro:

He still lost his job. :big afro: :big afro: :big afro:

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Yeah he possibly was a very good driver, he was certainly a very LUCKY driver.
Donegal Cub

Return to “Safety Forum”