This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear wheels spinning in opposite directions!! HELP!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53029

Rear wheels spinning in opposite directions!! HELP!!

Postby vwfish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Yikes!!!
This seems really bad. I hope I didn't just blow my new Cub up.
Ok, first off I'm a new Cub owner so please forgive my ignorance.
I have one definite problem that I believe I figured out, but a second problem I am REALLY concerned about.
First, I was having trouble getting it started this morning. It's been rather cold around here so I put a heat lamp on it over night and charged the battery.
I still couldn't get it started as the battery drained after only 10 or so engine revolutions (I should have stopped right there...too much draw). There appears to be a problem with the fan shaft as I can rotate the engine by hand and the main pulley spins inside the belt. If i loosen the bolt on the fan shaft the entire shaft and bolt turn and the engine turns over easily. I noticed a screeching noise when I first bought it and the seller thought is was a belt squeaking, but I think it was something more.
What I am far more concerned about is prior to the fan appearing to lock tight, I pulled the tractor down the road to get it started and when I let the clutch out the left wheel kind of spun and skidded forward (intermittently) and the right wheel kind of spun and skidded backwards.
WHAT THE HECK??? :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

raystractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear wheels spinning in opposite directions!! HELP!!

Postby raystractors » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Problem #1 sounds like the fan bearing has gone bad. Not uncommon. Problem #2 is not a problem, you only need to shift to a higher gear.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

If the motor turns freely with the belts loose either the fan pulley or the generator is seized up, if the transmission has water in the oil it will freeze not letting the ring gear turn in the axle/transmission housing making the wheels spin backwardspull the drain plug on the transmission case and see what comes out
good luck
Tim

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm

vwfish wrote:I still couldn't get it started as the battery drained after only 10 or so engine revolutions (I should have stopped right there...too much draw).
Charge up battery then take to auto parts store to check condition.
What I am far more concerned about is prior to the fan appearing to lock tight.
Remove hood and then remove fan assembly. Put on bench. Oil. Test for bad bearings.
I pulled the tractor down the road to get it started and when I let the clutch out the left wheel kind of spun and skidded forward (intermittently) and the right wheel kind of spun and skidded backwards.
Transmission frozen up, either mechanically or full of ice. Put tractor in warm area for couple of days or heat source on transmission. Remove transmission drain plug and let drain for a couple of days. Once drained and or thawed out. Tractor out of gear, push tractor forward a couple of feet. If both wheels roll forward - problem solved. If not remove the transmission cover - probably locked in two gears.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm

only takes a quarter cup of water, to lock up the gears. (Don't ask how I know this) Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:01 pm

When I went to pickup "Bashful" there was ice in the transmission.
The wheels were turning in opposite directions when I pulled it...just like you mentioned.
See the story here http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57938&start=15#p478612
Notice where I said "I fished out 2 baseball-sized chunks of ice".
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 pm

A tight engine[ fan or gen] in a lower gear will have the same effect , I am guessing that the wheels turned as they should before you let out on the clutch.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby vwfish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone.
So a friend of mine who has been around old tractors his whole life came over to take a look (luckily it was sunny and in the low 40s). He is a John Deere guy mainly, but he's a good s:censored:t so don't hold that against him. :) Together we figured out how to take the top off and loosen enough things to get the fan out..... seized right to the mounting bolt shaft. That would explain the horrid screeching I heard last weekend when I started it (the previous owner thought was a belt). I didn't listen to the little man in my head telling me it was more than a belt. :oops:

Regarding the wheels. I actually did get it started and drove it around before the fan seized, so I don't think there is ice in the transaxle, AND my son, wife and I were able to push it up the driveway in neutral after the fan seized. My buddy said since it has chains on and the tires were skidding, the wheels behaving like that isn't necessarily an indication of things gone bad. Hopefully when we get the fan assembly fixed and reinstalled the engine will start and the tranny will be fine.

I guess I panicked a bit when the fan seized (I didn't know that to be the issue at the time) and at the height of my despair, when considering throwing myself on the sword, I saw the wheels acting strangely. I thought I had just spent a great deal of money on a giant piece of red scrap iron.

Thanks for the replies.
I am a newbie to the Cub, so look to hear from me again.
I'll keep you updated on this issue...
Peace-out

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Don't forget that you should NOT try to turn the nut on the end of the fan shaft when tightening it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 pm

For the fan, use ONLY one 13/16 open end wrench in FRONT of the fan support uprights. No other tools. Look until you see the flats for the wrench.
Luck favors those who are prepared

vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby vwfish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Ok, novice here.
Barnyard and Bus Driver, please expound.
How does one properly tighten the fan to the mount???

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 pm

vwfish wrote:...How does one properly tighten the fan to the mount???

Hold the nut on the back (do not turn) of the "ears" while turning the fan shaft in the front of the "ears".
If you attempt to turn the nut on the back, the nut will spread the ears and break them.

vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby vwfish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:50 pm

"ears"?
Remember.....first Cub. :?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Go to 2:25 in this video

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 pm

There is a bolt that runs through the fan pulley from front to back. The NUT is on the BACK side of a cast, U-shaped fork. DO NOT turn that nut, but OK to help hold it in position if the bolt is hard to turn. More than a few have broken the fork, or ears by trying to turn the nut itself.

I had the same thing happen to me - locked up fan pulley - and I've had this cub for over 40 years - who knew you were supposed to oil that darned pulley?

If it's not too bad, you can save it with some patient filing and polishing. Mine squeaks a little, but has worked fine for the last year....

Return to “Farmall Cub”