This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Creative Electrical Troubleshooting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Creative Electrical Troubleshooting

Postby ricky racer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Well we finally got some snow to push last night. The other day we got about 2-3 inches but that doesn't count. Last night we got between 6-8 inches, something worth getting out to plow. I got up early to plow out my drive and the neighbor across the street before we both left for church. All went well but I didn't have time to plow my second driveway that goes back to the barn. I also wanted to plow out another neighbor that is visiting parents in California this week.

After getting home from church I went out to finish my plowing job. I started my '53 to let it warm up while I opened the overhead door and figured I'd check the fuel level while I was at it but didn't think it should be too low. After opening the door I started to remove the gas cap and suddenly the tractor just died. :? It was as if someone had just shut off the ignition switch. I tried to start it again and it wouldn't even fire, not a pop. I assumed it was an electrical issue so I checked voltage to the coil and it had 6 volts. Next, I popped off the distributor cap and looked at the points and saw they were pitted so I used some emery paper to shine up the contacts. I pulled out the manual to check the point gap. Point gap should be set at .020". Mine was quite a bit less than the specified amount so I set the gap to .020. Before putting the cap back on, I cranked it over and looked to make sure that I had spark at the points. Yep. Cranked it over again and it still wouldn't start. Bummer!! :x

Okay, I've got spark so that only leaves fuel as a probable cause to keep it from running. So......I pulled the gas cap off and looked inside the tank and guess what? Yep. :oops:

Just thought I'd let you know that I am available for expert troubleshooting if you have a problem with your any of your Cubs. :big smirk:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Creative Electrical Troubleshooting

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Just be glad it died in the garage, and not in the middle of a big pile of snow. Several years ago I was driving my H in a parade. I had not bothered to check the gas, since I had filled it earlier in the summer and only driven it a time or two. On the return to the starting point it started to sputter. I managed to keep it running with the choke till I got to a gas station. When I figured it up I had been in a ride, and 4 parades each one an hour and a half of more long with it that summer. OOPs.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Been there, done that. :oops:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:31 pm

I always try to keep a full tank so as to cut down on condensation! Wow I spelled that big word right the first time.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Postby 1541 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm

I can remember someone running out of gas going down the track at the Cub Tug one year. I wonder who that could be?

Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Scrivet has the gas flow worked to a science. Since everywhere you go on the farm is downhill from the barn, he says all you gotta do is crank it with starter till it facing downhill. And you got enough reserve to BACK IT UP HILL TO barn and more gas. :{_}:

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

I can't say a word - I tried to crank mine a few days ago and it acted like it wasn't firing. Traced electrical until I found the (non-original) key in the O-F-F position. :oops:

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:40 pm

If they hay been setting for a while the dang gas does not help any either , I have had to drain a lot of old gas out this year. I gona start putting in a quart or so at a time:D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm

I found Stable to big a good help. As I reread this I finally realized where the electricity came in. It was the lack there of between the ears??????? Always look for the easy things first. I always think of Beverly when something doesn't go the way I want it. Thinking of her a KISS. So my trouble shooting always starts Keep it simple stupid.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Rick:

You ain't the first and certainly not the last. Ray still won't let me forget my own little trip down the "no gas in the tank" road :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Boss Hog wrote:... start putting in a quart or so at a time:D

Probably a wise move for equipment seldomly used.

Last year I did some research on modern gasoline after finding some I stored for 2 years smelled like what you would normally find in the tank of a tractor that sat in the field for 20 years.

Quick summary: Additives evaporate, gas with ethanol draws moisture, and gas oxidizes much quicker than older blends of straight gas, especially if not stored air tight.

Gas does go bad faster and stabilizers won't buy the time they used to and will never restore gas that has started to spoil.

Out of the many articles I read, this one provides the most info and is consistent with similar research if you are interested in the topic.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... so-quickly
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Return to “Farmall Cub”