This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

another oil question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

another oil question

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 am

while my oil looks good i noticed that the inside of the dipstick tube gets a strange white residue on the inside of the tube, i guess i would have to say its looks like mayo or butter. its that oil mixing with water type of goop. is that from the water condensing on the inside of the tube, after all the crankcase breather is in the end of the dipstick. is this fairly normal? the oil looks ok, its not a white color; maybe slightly grey from moisture. is this something that happens more with cold weather because i didnt really notice this happening before the temperature change? is it from very cold air being sucked into a warm engine through the breather. i just wondered if this was fairly normal or do i have something to be concerned about? i am also not noticing a significant drop in antifreeze level.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: another oil question

Postby bob in CT » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 am

Just condensation. With the dipstick serving as your breather, you just see it more often than you would on a car. If it gets too milky it is telling you it is time for some serious seat time! :mrgreen:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 am

Betcha it doesn't taste like mayo or butter :)

Yep, normal condensation. You need to take your Cub out and work it to get it warmed up.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:17 am

The burning of any hydrocarbon fuel yields, among other things, lots of water vapor as the hydrogen combines with oxygen. So long as the byproducts of combustion do not touch surfaces that are below 212 degrees, the byproducts will be vapors. They condense on colder surfaces. So starting an engine from cold produces liquid water until the engine is warm. Ever notice the drips out an automobile exhaust on cold mornings? That is not unburned fuel.
Luck favors those who are prepared

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 am

i got some serous seat time, lol. i noticed allot less of it. we had about 1-1/2 feet of snow, the tractor worked hard but it got the job done. i tried plowing in 2nd but when it gets that deep you just have to put it in 3rd and keep the momentum going. plowing snow that deep with a farmall cub is work, but its fun. glad to have hydraulic lift!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”