This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"... Had a Heart Attack"

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

"... Had a Heart Attack"

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 pm

"...had a heart attack." A few short words when spoken after someone's name gets your immediate attention, especially if you know that person.

If you learned this same person instead of suffering a heart attack was diagnosed with depression, paranoia, schizophrenia, or any other recognized mental illness, it's human nature to draw a different picture or conclusion in your mind about that persons health. Unfortunately, many people are unaware that sick is sick, no matter if it's a physical or mental illness.

Both deserve first class rapid response and subsequent health care, however this is seldom the case.

If you witness someone having a heart attack, the outcome of the event could vary based on the level of care you administer, however a call to 911 would be the minimum one would provide.

Mental health emergencies are not declared until someone is perceived to be a threat to themselves or others, or a tragic incident at their hands has already unfolded, only at this time is 911 dialed.

Whether the illness is visibly evident such as loss of consciousness, chest pains, shortness of breath, or an illness which presents no visible outward signs, perhaps only odd behavior, both illnesses should be viewed as urgent life or death circumstances, which unfortunately many times they are not.

During heart patient recovery, friends and family visit, arrangements for care or help around the house or farm are made while the patients' convalesce. Support from family and friends is abundant.
Referring back to the person suffering with mental illness, what kind of support do they get from friends and family? Usually not nearly as much as someone struck with a debilitating physical illness.

The reason for this in many cases is a double edged problem. First, folks hesitate to identify themselves or family members as being mentally ill because of how society currently perceives mental illness. Second, societies' perception of mental health issues puts the needs of those mentally ill patients' on the back burner. This needs to change.

When mental illness is visibly evident, the mentally ill in many cases are shunned from society receiving no care or support the same victim of a heart attack received, leading them down the path of eventual self destruction and frequently the destruction of others.

Mental health issues are starting to come to the forefront especially after Sandy Hook. People inflicted with mental illness should be viewed no differently than someone suffering a heart attack. It's not their fault, its simply how they are wired and anything that can be done to help them should be done without delay. Their mental state erodes to a point of deranged behavior, only at that point is notice taken, but often too late.

If you care to look into mental illness because of interest or you suspect a family member, relative, or friend may be presenting symptoms from the wide array caused by mental illness, the National Alliance on Mental Illness or NAMI as frequently referred to, is a great resource to turn to. http://www.nami.org/

After suffering for years unbeknownst to many, a family member of mine was diagnosed with a number of mental health issues, some I had never heard of. I was directed to NAMI by the psychiatric hospital for answers and support.

I became a member last year, money well spent on a wealth of information in the form of internet information, printed material and local support groups. Their internet resources are all free requiring no membership.

I attended a NAMI 12 week "Family to Family" course which was composed of family members coping with loved one's mental illneses', building a large 3 ring binder with information as the class progressed.

I learned a great deal from other family members' experiences as well as from the NAMI representatives and guest speakers hosting the free event. NAMI is a huge advocacy organization for mental health care for everyone and is non taxpayer supported.

My family member, still under the care and direction of medical professionals, requires medication to balance the brain chemical imbalance rooting the illness. With meds taken as prescribed, this person's nightmarish life has turned into a normally functioning, rational thinking productive one. And I have a better understanding of why and how.

Could this person have opened fire at a public gathering before treatment? Highly unlikely but not impossible to completely rule out as one's actions caused by mental illness are almost impossible to predict.

As many people have mentioned in other posts circling this subject, today's society may have a greater burden on the populations' mental health. Most mass murders by gunfire have been commited by a younger generation.

As NAMI will teach you, mental illness runs in families and is generally not distributed by a pick and choose method. As these younger mentally ill people reproduce, the ranks of the mentally ill will increase decade by decade.

Severe mental health issues are here today and not likely to go away soon. America needs to focus on mental health by recognizing mental illness with the same regard as physical illness and the early treatment it commands instead of looking the other direction as many of us have done in the past, including me.

Happy Holidays readers and members of farmallcub.com

http://www.nami.org/
Attachments
1355952139-picsay.jpg
1355952139-picsay.jpg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 690 times
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: "... Had a Heart Attack"

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Agreed. How much of the President's Violence Task Force's efforts do you think will be directed toward this issue? My guess is very little.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:05 pm

As NAMI will teach you, mental illness runs in families and is generally not distributed by a pick and choose method. As these younger mentally ill people reproduce, the ranks of the mentally ill will increase decade by decade.

I will have to disagree with you on this. I have a special child That I have been blessed with.
I know of know one in mine or my wife's family that has his problem. Do not believe everything you read. It does not have to be in the gene pool. I expect I have spent as much time and money as anyone seeking the cause and possible cure.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:15 pm

I wish I had not replied to this post to start with. But I am in it now so here goes. You can ask anyone here on the board that has met Timmy and they will tell you he is a very sweet child. But he is 23 now and is subject to do about anything at any time, just like an 8 year old would do. But he would not shoot 15 people without a reason either. This comes back to the raising of the child. You can always make the most out of what you have to work with. I do not buy into the some of the reasons given when someone commits these atrocities.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Don McCombs wrote: How much of the President's Violence Task Force's efforts do you think will be directed toward this issue? My guess is very little.

Unfortunately, your guess is probably correct.

Resources will be spent pacifying the crowd bent on insisting tools of murder need even more restrictions or regulations.

I'm not convinced the deranged and criminal element will be happy to comply with additional restrictions and regulations, just as in the past. The dog will continue to chase its tail.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Boss Hog wrote:
I will have to disagree with you on this.

My mother spent her career in special education at the elementary school level so I hear where you are coming from.

I am not aware of any special needs child responsible for mass casualties, at least in the last decade or so.

The mental illnesses' I refer to leading to deranged behavior have no symptoms or onset until later in life and frequently are passed from generation to generation as research documents.

The following is a non NAMI link perhaps providing a better explanation. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/science-news/20 ... outh.shtml

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Boss I always enjoy Timmy and realize how much effort your whole family has put into his upbringing and care. Prior to my retirement or I mean employment by the state I worked in a in patient mental health unit. I was a witness to the progression of some mental illness that had a onset in the late teens or early twentys. These poor people for the most part realized the progression of their illness and more times than I care to remember took their own lives. It is true that many of these mental health issues run in families. Recognizing the problem and seeking help is the best anyone can do. Mental illness is just that a illness.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Return to “Off Topic”