This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A new one in Ohio

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
fhgcjs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

A new one in Ohio

Postby fhgcjs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 am

Hello all. I'm from Ohio here and have owned my Cub for about three years now. I've spent countless hours reading up on various topics on here trying to solve little problems and just picking up little bits of useful information. I thought maybe it was time to join the group and get a bit more involved if I ever have the opportunity or knowledge to share with others. I picked up the tractor more as a favor to a friend of a friend. I never saw myself really needing a small tractor, but thought since it had a 60 inch mower on it it would at least be helpful taking care of my three acres... so I picked it up. It was rough to start with. The charging system didn't work, the bearings in the deck were all loose, one of the wheels on the deck was pretty much useless, and it had years of dirt and grime piled up in every nook and cranny on it. Two days with a pressure washer, some solvents, and brushes and the lion's share of the grime was gone. I swapped out the generator for a mitsubishi alternator and ford voltage regulator setup my buddy and I first came up with that fit under the hood of his farmall 300 (he had the parts laying around and said "you think we can make this work somehow?" So I got on the internet and started studying). I'm not a fan of generators and thought the extra power could possibly come in handy for any sort of gadget I may one day come up with to mount on it. At the moment the engine is pretty well whipped. I was hoping to work on a restoration of it this winter, but due to a small employment issue that project is now on the back burner. I jokingly call it the mosquito fogger... by the time I make it to the first corner of the property when mowing it's all most done belching out the wretched smoke from the worn out engine. It still starts up and runs like a champ... it just can't be pushed to the limits any more.

Here she is...

And the deck...

The deck was a bit bent I got a hold of it so I added some angle for a skirt around it to flatten it out and stiffen it up a bit. The idlers were already on it when I picked it up and from looking around those weren't original pieces. The angle for the mount I had also replaced since the original was pretty well bent. After all the changes I made I ended up finding out that for the most part it was an all original danco deck. Needless to say I was a bit irritated when I found this out, but at the time I was more concerned with making the thing work and work right than keeping it original... besides not having been around the units ever it looked to me like a home made unit. I don't ever plan on putting the deck back on the tractor as it's just not nimble enough for me to go around all my trees, house, and out buildings and the pto being tied to the drives has unfortunately taken out a few small trees and such (couldn't get stopped in time). I do have another plan for it, but being what it is I would like to find something similar to trade so that I'm not committing some sort of sacrilege.

I've grown to love this little tractor and even though it's still a bit more than I'll ever need to have around it does come in extremely handy. I have a pretty stout and real deal john deere lawn tractor that was my work horse before this... it just doesn't have the weight or the clearance. I have been looking at ideas for a three point hitch which will make it even more usable to me in the long run. I would like to put together a front blade and a grader blade for pushing snow and driveway maintenance. I picked up welding as a hobby and have managed to fab up some pretty useful trinkets along the way... have a whirlwind of ideas for implements to make life easier.

I do have a question... does anyone know of a standard pto shaft that could be mounted in some bearings with a pulley to run off the original shaft? I know of the reverse rotation and speed differences, and since anything I will run with it I will build myself that won't be an issue. I'm just thinking if I could have a center mounted pto shaft that uses commonly available pieces it could open up a world of useful or useless ideas.

Thank you all for this site and the knowledge in it. It has been quite useful so far for things I've come across and also for little things I never thought to look into. Maybe at some time I'll have a bit on insight to share with others as it is kind of the idea of these forums.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: A new one in Ohio

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 am

Any thing you drive with a belt you can usually reverse direction with a twist in the belt.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy your Cub as much as we do ours.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

fhgcjs wrote:I do have a question... does anyone know of a standard pto shaft that could be mounted in some bearings with a pulley to run off the original shaft?

About the only thing available is probably going to run you about as much as you probably paid for the Cub. They tend to be high dollar items. A Cub just isn't feasible for running modern day pto driven equipment.

Welcome to the forum and we all hope you learn from the wealth of info provided here.

There are many of us here from Ohio. Where abouts are you located. There just might be one of us close by who can give you a hand.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm

First G'day to you and congrats on acquiring your very 1st Cub (even if it has been a while now), I am sure you have already discovered that these tractors can be addictive. Don't be surprised if your herd increases in size - they usually do.

You have been around some so I imagine you are already a bit familiar with the resources we have available, but I will post it anyways -- good idea to follow the links below and read a tad...... :wink:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

fhgcjs wrote:I do have a question... does anyone know of a standard pto shaft that could be mounted in some bearings with a pulley to run off the original shaft? I know of the reverse rotation and speed differences, and since anything I will run with it I will build myself that won't be an issue. I'm just thinking if I could have a center mounted pto shaft that uses commonly available pieces it could open up a world of useful or useless ideas.

I bought a bunch of fast hitch stuff from another member in Ohio a few years back and amongst the pile was a Belt Pulley Attachment that was connected to a jack-shaft affair that was to be center mounted under the Cub to power something or other. I got rid of the jack-shaft -- for what I am going to do, it isn't needed. But, depending on what the project is, the Belt Pulley Attachment could be used to connect a belly mounted jack-shaft via a belt from the BPA to the shaft. Course then it would depend entirely upon the rpm's/speed of the Cub. When the server is back up I will add the link to this thread. Hopefully it will be up tonight.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

fhgcjs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby fhgcjs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 pm

About the only thing available is probably going to run you about as much as you probably paid for the Cub. They tend to be high dollar items. A Cub just isn't feasible for running modern day pto driven equipment.

I'm really not planning on running too much with it. As far as modern day equipment goes... I will most likely build anything I decide to run with it. I was thinking more along the lines of small pumps for maybe a sprayer on down the line, or a log splitter I can just hook up to and go. In all reality for the cost of parts and headaches associated with lining things up I could probably come up with a standard bracket (standard to me) on my drawbar to attach the different pumps and what not to and just run hoses to it. I just thought a pto setup would be kind of something neat to figure out.

Just the memories of wandering around grandpa's farm as a youngster and seeing how the different equipment worked has filled my head with all sorts of notions.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”