This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need Help With Gift Idea-PICS ADDED!

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Need Help With Gift Idea-PICS ADDED!

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Im making an oval fabric center piece for my wife to go on the dining room table.
That's the easy part, I can sew in the dark!
Me, I've always gotta find some way to complicate stuff :{_}:
What I want to do, is embrioder the entire lyrics to a song on it in a script/cursive font.
It's gotta be white on white, so it will 'go' with any of the numerous tablecloths we have.
I want the words to start on the outside and lap around and around.
The size is 18" x 24" oval.
I have tried numerous local shops and a couple I found online and nobody can do it!
Any of you guys have a better half that can steer me in the right direction?
Last edited by Marion(57 Loboy) on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Need Help With Gift Idea

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm not the better half, but I'd suggest a quilting store. They might want you to cut out the letters, and then they'd sew them onto the oval. Unfortunately, it's already getting close to Christmas.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Marion:

Em says the same thing. Best bet is a quilting shop that probably has a computerized quilting machine that can embroider as well. If you can lay out the lyrics in a jpeg or something that can be plotted, they may be able to embroider it for you before Christmas. I googled quilt and embroidery shops in canton ohio, with luck one of these may be able to help you out.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 am

My wife's sewing machine was purchased from a Janome dealer. Her model cannot do lettering, but I know some of the upper-end models can. You might check into seeing if there's a Janome dealership close to you that you can take it in and let them evaluate your project. They might be able to do it for you for a small fee; as kind of a in-store project to display their machine.

Hope you're successful!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Marion,

My wife got this from a relative that lives near Wooster.
There is a custom embroidery place in Wooster but I can't find it in the yellow pages. If I find the name of it, I will email you but in the meantime have him call Lackman's Sewing Center in Apple Creek. They sell embroidery machines and either might be able to do it or send him in the right direction.

Good luck.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the help so far guys, but I am still at a roadblock with this. I already tried most of your suggestions. I did call Lackman's and they don't do embriodery, they sell machines that do it. I'd have to buy a top name brand machine and then expensive software on top of it. That option is cost prohibitive.
I am still looking for a way to do this, but it looks like I may end up with a Sharpie and scribbling on it myself!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I have a friend with a sewing machine that does embroidery letters/words/monogram. It is limited to a dozen or so characters I think. I've never seen it but want to say it has some type of LCD screen you put the letters/word on and then it sews that when you hit go. I don't know if there are multiple fonts, all I've seen is block letters. Maybe you could do something like that and piece the words together like a spiral quilt block? You did say you were good at sewing :D If you were daring I guess you could layout the spiral and embroider each word as you went. Though the odds of ending up with a big space or no room for the last few words would be great. Or get three words form the end and misspell something :roll: The individual word idea doesn't sound to bad really, you could lay them out and adjust the spacing and make sure every thing fits.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Marion:

Our Mark's Work Warehouse does custom embroidery for Ray's business, everything from hats to shirts to hoodies etc. We also had an outlet called the Embroidery Shop or Stitches or something like that - they did a special run on a shirt for me - embroidered and when I did the shirts for CubFest Northeast 2004 we had them done. Check your local mall - they may have one of those stall outlets that do this type of thing - it is all computer driven. They may be able to help on that as well. Best solution I can come up with. Try googling Monogram Embroidery Shops or Monogram Embroidery Shops Canton Ohio. Hope this is of more use.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I've got someone who can do the embroidery! YAY!
Got the fabric already, so this will actually be "in the works" in the next week or so!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Marion:

Glad to hear it. You know we really like em and Image

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Need Help With Gift Idea-PICS ADDED!

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Okay! Here is the project in its current state. Its linen, with the embroidery complete. Now I just need to decide on how to finish and trim it off !
Hard to read anything in this view:

Here is one end:

and the other end:

I'm havin a lil fun with this project ! I'll be sure to post the finished creation when I'm done :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Marion:

Very nice :D And Roberta Flack as the inspiration ... much cooler :lol: I think she will like it.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:59 pm

It was a current hit single in 72 when we met and started courting as teenagers!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Marion:

In that case the lyrics are even more poignant. That will be a very nice gift when it is done. Keep posting pics buds... I like it.

Return to “Projects Forum”