This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

working on a lo boy soon

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17762
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub
1945 Farmall H

working on a lo boy soon

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

hi, my neighbor up the road has asked me if i will work on a lo boy for them, he said one day a few summers ago he was driving it across the yard, and it just up and quit on him, as far as i know they left it sit and havent done anything to it, so my question is what should i check first? i havent seen the tractor, dont have a clue what is wrong with it, will find out this sunday, thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: working on a lo boy soon

Postby cub47 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 am

When I get a cub in that hasn't run in years, I always start out with these items and then go from there if needed:

-tune up with new plugs, wires, distributor cap, points, condensor (possibly the rotor also)
-check condition of wiring and grounds
-check timing
-clean or rebuild carburetor
-check for any debris in the gas tank
-compression checks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Note: Do not spend any money on the machine. Except a few dollars to pressure spray it.

See if engine is stuck. Pressure spray entire tractor. Let dry. Inspect tractor's exterior for obvious problems.

Providing engine not stuck. Prime oil pump. Check for oil in crank case. Install battery borrowed from other machine, clean all connections, see if battery cranks over engine.

Compression tests. Compression tests will determine next course of action.

My order is usually; compression, ignition, fuel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 am

I do not see that many cubs that need wires on them, if they are copper and rats have not been eating at them. you can file the points to make sure it is firing, take the main jet out and clean it. Drain any gas that is in it out. clean the fuel bowl. make sure you have a good flow at the carb, prime the oil pump.
and go from there.
It is easy to spend other folks money. Treat it as if it is yours
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 am

Eugene is faster than me :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 pm

The pros have spoken...
I'm in the don't spend money until you have to camp. Borrow a battery - I live off borrowed batteries.
See if it cranks....
Feed it some gas
Get it some spark.

If it's not stuck, it's probably something super easy - like coil, condenser, or plugged fuel feed. Points/condenser set from the dealer is only about $15. Coil will cost you $50 or more.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm

First think what could have it to quit a few years back. First and most popular is plugged fuel. The sediment bowl, its screen, the screen at the fuel inlet of the carb (if it still has one). The mail jet (the brass hex sticking out the side of the carb bowl) plugs easily too. take it out and poke it out with a soft copper wire and the blow it out with compressed air. So far you have only sprung for a new gasket for the sediment bowl. You could even skip that step by putting fuel in the tank and then with the fuel valve under the sediment bowl turned on remove the main jet. You should get a steady stream of fuel. It shouldn't start and then drop off to a drip. Replace the jet I catch the fuel in an empty can so it doesn't get all over the place.
Next file the points as Boss says and check that the small metal tab is on the end of the rotor. I have had 2 with the rivets rotted and fall off on Farmall C's. I say check that for a cub and a C use the same rotor. After these are done try to start the Cub. If it starts you are OK If not let us know and we will take you further down the line.

I am basically cheap and trouble shoot as cheaply as I can. If you notice I haven't forced you to spent any more than for fuel so far and possibly for a gasket.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Getting a tractor to run is one thing, but to run well is another, and sometimes takes more than basics.

I guess you will have to see what your neighbor is expecting when he gets it back, but for about fifty bucks you could do a complete tuneup. Would save any you any future calls or problems in the near future.

1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
1945 Farmall H

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm

well when the guy was telling me about it, i was thinking the coil may of went bad, but thanks for the other ideas of where to go, ill keep you guys posted when i bring it home

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Generally but not all the time a coil may go bad while running as it heats up and then after an hour or so after it cools down it will let the tractor run again till it heats again. That said they do go flat out bad at times too.
Another question is does the starter turn the engine over?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
1945 Farmall H

working on a cub lowboy

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:20 pm

hi, im working on a cub loboy 154 for my neighbor, he had said it had just quit on them about to years ago, and they pushed it in the shed and didnt touch it, i have it under the shed now, with the battery charger on, it turns over, what would you guys do first if you were in my postion? gonna check the fuse and pull the carburator off to clean it tonight, any suggestions? thanks

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Re: working on a cub lowboy

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Since the engine is the same as a regular Cub, the same steps apply.
-prime the oil pump
-ignition/timing
-compression
-fuel

To get it moving after the engine runs, the drive train is significantly different and will require a somewhat different approach.

1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
1945 Farmall H

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm

ok, i have it under the shed now, its a 154 loboy, isnt frozen up, im in the process of cleaning the carburator, it was pretty bad, also posted a form similar to this in the loboy section

1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
1945 Farmall H

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm

well i got it running, cleaned the carb all up, cleaned air filter, a new o ring in the carb gas line, and a little bit of starting fluid and she fired right up! took it back to the neighbors tonight and they were very greatfull, im glad i could help them out

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”