This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring Diagrams

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chesapeake_Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23321

Wiring Diagrams

Postby Chesapeake_Cub » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:06 pm

FYI.....

I have been fixing up a 1947 cub.. I ordered 2 manuals - a service manual and operators manual.

As I am getting ready to re-wire, I discovered that the wiring diagram in the service manual on page 9-5 is incorrect. This diagram shows the wire from the negative terminal to the distributor ....

This is incorrect... It should be the positive terminal to the distributor. It is like this in the operators manual. I verified this on 2 other farmalls.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Wiring Diagrams

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Originally a 47 would have had a magneto rather than a distributor. However to get to your question, the 6 volt cubs as well as all other IH, and most other brands too, were POSITIVE ground, so the negative wire would have gone to the distributor. They did not change to negative ground until they went to 12 volt electrical systems.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby clodhopper » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 pm

04-6VoltCutoutAndMagneto-rev4_17-1.gif

THANKS TO FARMALLBOB

This would be the proper diagram for that year cub from the factory. As John said, they were ALL positive ground until the conversion to 12 Volt

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:06 pm

G'day :D Whilst you are awaiting your manuals, suggest you read this one : McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 5-23-47. Verifying a particular wiring situation on 2 other Farmalls does not mean that they are correct. The page you referenced clearly states a battery ignition - which means a distributor and not a magneto. I think you will find out that as John indicated it is correct especially since it should be a positive ground system.

Positive ground systems are not as familiar to many people less than a certain age or are into restoring pre 67 cars/trucks etc., As you get used to Cubs this will become more understandable.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 pm

If someone put a distributor on your Cub then the positive wire from the coil would go to the distributor if you have positive ground.

Is this the diagram you have? It appears to be for a newer Cub.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Chesapeake_Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chesapeake_Cub » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I bought both manuals at the same time, indicating that I have a 1947. As I indicated, the wiring is different in both.

Barnyard... Yes, this is the diagram I am refering to. The operators manual has a different diagram.

My cub is a 1947 (serial # 17533) and has a distributor. It is a 6 volt positive ground system.

Another local owner has 2 cubs (1 late 40s, the other mid 50s). Both are positive ground with the plus wire going to the distributor.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 pm

A '47 Cub, when built, would have matched the first diagram above. When converted to battery ignition, the coil should have been connected with + connected to the distributor. The second diagram above is for a later 12-volt Cub.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:09 pm

The Battery Ignition Packages for Tractors describes how the Battery Ignition/distributor is installed on an Cub equipped with a Magneto. This should solve the issues. As Jim said, the latter diagram on page 9-5 is for the later 12v tractors not the 6v ones.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Chesapeake_Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chesapeake_Cub » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies... I'll get back to re-wiring Monday

Return to “Farmall Cub”