This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilt cordless batteries

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Rebuilt cordless batteries

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I had breakfast with a friend who had several 12 V cordless drill batteries rebuilt at the Interstate Battery store. The cost was 1/2 of what a new one would be and he claims that the new batteries last longer and have more power than the OEM's. They open the case and replace the dead ones. I didn't know that this could be done.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Rebuilt cordless batteries

Postby Barnyard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 pm

You can rebuild some of the NiCad or NiMH yourself but I think the lithium-ion batteries are different and need to go to a shop. Rebuilds are available on ebay but I think I would trust a reputable rebuilder such as Interstate
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Before rebuilding your weak batteries, contact the manufacturer to see if the batteries might be on a recall list. I have had (2) 14 volt and (2) 18 volt replaced by Milwaukee free of charge. In fact the shipping was paid for by Milwaukee too.

Knowing which batteries were on the recall list got me a great deal on a 18 volt Milwaukee Sawzall at a garage sale. The Sawzall was being sold because the batteries were no good and the cost of replacing the batteries was near the price of a complete new saw. I got the saw for $15 and contacted Milwaukee with the serial numbers of the batteries. They were on the recall list. Milwaukee sent me a package to mail the batteries back in and promptly sent me 2 new batteries. :{_}: :{_}:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Rick:

I like that.

I am hoping for the DeWalt Drill and Driver deal for Christmas. Been considering the Milwaukee as well. I like Milwaukee corded tools and think they are equally as good as the DeWalt pro line. I am hoping that the cordless ones are the same :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I had a pair of 18 volt Skil batteries rebuilt by Interstate about 4 or so years ago. They cost almost as much as new ones, and only lasted about 6 months. i was not happy.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Don't know if my experience was typical, or not. I had a 14 volt Craftsman rebuilt by a local company that specializes in batteries, of all kinds. Batteries is all they do. My end result parallels John's. I was not a happy camper and have not been back.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm

I have had several batteries rebuilt at school lately, I will say I will just go buy new one for now on, the rebuilds are about $3 per volt from Interstate here. I find them on line for cheaper new, so I go that route now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 pm

18 volt DeWalt rebuilt batteries. Purchased/exchanged a couple of batteries from a "rebuilder' for a bit less than the cost of new batteries at the store. I won't do that again. Results were less than satisfactory.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 am

I've never had any batteries rebuilt, I've heard too many negative results like the others here have mentioned. I have several 18V Dewalt tools and I try to buy one new battery every year. I can usually find them for about $50 each for the XRP's. The two batteries that came with my first Dewalt drill, 9 yrs. ago, have just recently expired. I feel they have served me very well. I do love my Dewalt cordless tools!

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I've never had any batteries rebuilt, I've heard too many negative results like the others here have mentioned. I have several 18V Dewalt tools and I try to buy one new battery every year. I can usually find them for about $50 each for the XRP's. The two batteries that came with my first Dewalt drill, 9 yrs. ago, have just recently expired. I feel they have served me very well. I do love my Dewalt cordless tools!

I use Dewalt in my shop as well and have always been pleased with the performance (even though it is a glorified B&D), nowadays if you shop at the right time, an 18V drill w/ two batteries can be bought for $99, they sell the individual batteries for $70-$80 each around here.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

[/quote]I use Dewalt in my shop as well and have always been pleased with the performance (even though it is a glorified B&D), nowadays if you shop at the right time, an 18V drill w/ two batteries can be bought for $99, they sell the individual batteries for $70-$80 each around here.[/quote]

For that very reason, you can buy used battery powered equipment (without the batteries) on e-bay, cheap. If you've got batteries at home, sometimes you can pick up other tools cheaply.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 pm

I use nicads in my R/C aircraft, these are basically the same as used in cordless equipment. The difference is in the number of cells and capacity. Because so much is at stake in a flight session, we monitor and cycle batteries in the off-season. (now) I use a cycler which discharges and recharges at the rate selected. You may have to fully discharge and recharge several times to develop rated capacity. I would try it before giving up on the rebuilt battery packs. The worst thing is lack of use. You may want to look inside the case to see if the rebuilder replaced with the same capacity cells.
Just my 2 cents worth...

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:01 pm

I've even re-purposed drill batteries which are sub-c size for use in my starter pack. Disassembly and checking with a volt meter will usually indicate dead cells.
Nickel metal hydride and Lipo's are the coming things, but require different charging equipment, and caution. I haven't needed to convert anything yet, but Nicads are on their way out, so I've been told. Sorry to ramble..

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Years ago I got the 5 tool 18V DeWalt kit. Love it but the batteries seem to expire at 3 years. I have been buying 'reman' kits with batteries, chargers, case etc. Sometimes cheaper than the batteries and get a tool out of the deal. Love the big impact, surprising power! Last set I got was a lithium drill & impact driver set, $190 delivered. Toolking.com has some decent specials.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Something to think about. Most rebuilders only replace the bad cells in a battery. If the other cells test good they leave them alone. It's cheaper for the rebuilder that way. Just because the other cells test good does not mean they won't fail in a short period of time. You could have a bad rebuilt battery in a few weeks.

The same usually goes for rebuilt power tools. Some rebuilders only replace what is known to be bad. Something else could fail soon after it leaves their shop. A lot of rebuilt tools give good service long after a rebuild but always remember, you are still buying a used piece of equipment.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”