Lo Boy tie rods

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 pm

I have 3 Lo Boys 59-68 and one has the tie rods crossed (the '67). The '59 and '68 tie rods aren't crossed (like a standard Cub). Looking in my manuals I can't really figure out which which is right. Can anyone tell me what is correct? Did it vary by year? Thanks in advance.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

1967 and 1968 would be crossed. Do not know about 1959. All of mine are crossed.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I think only the first couple of years the lowboys had the normal tie rods and after that all the lowboys were crossed
Tim

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

tst wrote:I think only the first couple of years the lowboys had the normal tie rods and after that all the lowboys were crossed
Tim


Tim is correct, all Loboys with serial number 4801 and below had the same style as the standard cubs

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

They are crossed on my '59.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:48 pm

cubguy47 wrote:
tst wrote:I think only the first couple of years the lowboys had the normal tie rods and after that all the lowboys were crossed
Tim


Tim is correct, all Loboys with serial number 4801 and below had the same style as the standard cubs

That would make the change to the crossed style about midway through 1957.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 pm

cubguy47 wrote:
Tim is correct, all Loboys with serial number 4801 and below had the same style as the standard cubs


Where did you come up with that info? I have never seen or heard of that before.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:04 pm

indy61 wrote:Where did you come up with that info?

The parts catalog.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

From Rudi's manual server:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... eering.htm

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:14 pm

I never knew that, I wonder if other changes were made at 4801.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Although only 2 weeks on this forum I am amazed at what I've learned already and how the members pitch in to present answers. Thanks Folks. I think I'll cross the tie rods on a couple of my machines.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:24 am

indy61 wrote:I never knew that, I wonder if other changes were made at 4801.

No other changes were made at that time.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 am

Steve, in order to install over / under tie rods, you'll need the correct steering gear pitman arm, the longer tie rods and associated hardware. My 61 and my brothers 58 both have over / under.

Re: Lo Boy tie rods

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:19 am

I have a set that I may trade for a standard set
Boss