This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timber Frame is Finally Done!

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Re: Timber Frame is Finally Done!

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Rudi wrote:Blair:

I have said it before and I will keep on saying again... beautiful craftsmanship and an absolutely gorgeous building. I really love it and wish I had the patience to do that kind of post and beam construction. I saw one under construction on the way to Cecil's, it was somewhere off the 95 in Mass - right off I thought of this project and was wondering how it was going. Now we know. Simply gorgeous.

I like that old huge B&D 1/2" drill as well. Neat tool and lots of power. I like your clamps -- them will work nicely. The wooden mallet - is that an ECE mallet?

Thanks for all of the warm comments guys. Glad you like the building.

Rudi...yes that old B&D drill was my Gramp's. Great tool, and as you said..lots of power. You can really get hurt if you aren't holding on tightly. The mallet is European Beech and made in England by a company called Crown Hand Tools.

Thanks again everybody!

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Thackery wrote:Very Very Nice. I have done a little of everything you did there but not all for one ground up project. Lots and lots of hard work there.
Wow, wow. That is fantastic. Good for you.

Where did the scarf end up??
Do you have pics of the inside.
Reminds me of a Sobon shed.
Thackery

Thanks Thackery. Indeed I used a plan from one of Sobon's books to design this shed...then just made a few modifications. The scarf ended up in the top plate of the porch....I'll attach a few pics. And yes, I'll atach a few pics of the inside. One pic is of the loft where I keep all of my hunting gear and clothes.

Blair

- Merle Haggard

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Stanton wrote:Blair,
Hats off to your workmanship; you're a true craftsman!! You have constructed a fine looking, as well as durable, building. You should be proud.

Do you know how long veggies will keep down in your cellar?

Thanks Stanton. My wife and I are doing some reading and experimenting. The cellar isn't staying as cool as I'd like. I think I need to insulate the ceiling of the cellar (the floor of the sugar house) to keep it cooler. From what we've read we should be able to keep apples and vegetables into Feb., March, maybe April depending on what it is. Some apples don't keep well. Others keep great. Should be fun experimenting to see what keeps well and what doesn't.

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Joe Malinowski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 pm

You're a talented guy Blair, I hope to think of a reason to stop up your way and see it soon How are the deer moving around up there? Nice job.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 am

Joe Malinowski wrote:You're a talented guy Blair, I hope to think of a reason to stop up your way and see it soon How are the deer moving around up there? Nice job.

Thanks Joe. Stop by any time you are coming through. Bring your shotgun if you want!

Deer season has been SLOW! I have no oaks or beech on the property. Also no agriculture. All I have are wild apples to hunt, and the apples all fell early this year back in late Sept. I am going to have a hard time filling the freezer this year.

How about out in Hadley?

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Blair:

Maybe next year on our way down or back from Cecil's we can stop buy and visit. I would love to see your shop and the sugary :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Superb! Beautiful job and the best part is you get to use it. I am impressed beyond words.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 am

Rudi wrote:Blair:

Maybe next year on our way down or back from Cecil's we can stop buy and visit. I would love to see your shop and the sugary :D

That would be great Rudi....open invitation!!!

I've got to get out to Cecil's myself and meet some of you guys.

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Return to “Projects Forum”