This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154, Got a problem. Need opinion

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

154, Got a problem. Need opinion

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Need to remove and repair creeper gear. This 154 has two hydraulic diverter valves on the pan in front of the gear shift and enough hydraulic plumbing over and around the main clutch to confuse Albert Einstein.

Question. What is the easiest way to remove the creeper gear? Currently thinking about just splitting the tractor and rolling the rear end backward.

Comment. What a pain to work on this tractor. Much easier to work on a standard Cub. Took me close to 2 1/2 hours just to remove the entire PTO system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: 154, Got a problem. Need opinion

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Eugene,

I've worked on a friend's 154 a couple of times and am scheduled to bring it back to the Cubhouse for another session. Removing the rear end is what I would suggest. I don't really like working on those puppies either. :(

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: 154, Got a problem. Need opinion

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am

The parts to repair the creeper gear cost just under $10. Needed a half moon Woodruff key, spring pin (roll pin), missing poppet ball and new O-ring.

Hydraulic fluid had severe water contamination. 3 or 4 cans of brake cleaner required to clean up the transmission/differential.

Pulled one final to loosen up the brake pivot. Brake lining in very good condition.

Engine and drive line in very good condition. PTO is in very poor condition and will be a major repair expense. Tractor must have been use only to mow lawns.

Splitting and recoupling the tractor is a 2 person job. Son helped with the splitting. Took me forever to recouple the tractor by myself.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”