This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Inspection

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission Inspection

Postby indy61 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm

It's probably the input shaft bearing. Unless the noise gets worse, don't worry about it. Fix it next time you split it. Mine's been that way for years and I work it hard.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 am

indy61 wrote:It's probably the input shaft bearing. Unless the noise gets worse, don't worry about it. Fix it next time you split it. Mine's been that way for years and I work it hard.

Not likely the cause, if it was, he would be getting similar noises in all gears.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 am

Had a clicking transmission, checked everything-wheel bolts, nuts etc-no luck :( Finally found a cracked reverse idler gear-replaced it and all was well :D (BTW, took me 3 transmission tear downs to find it :evil: )

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 am

i would have never thought to look for a crack, thanks for the info bill e bob. one more arrow in my quiver. :wink: coppersmythe............................................

SC288
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46350

Postby SC288 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm

I am helping my Grandfather with his 66' Cub....we confirmed that it has a missing tooth on the reverse idler gear yesterday and know that we have to split the tractor to change it. We have the manual with directions on how to split the tractor etc. but I was wondering after the tractor is split if someone had step by step instructions on how to change the reverse idler gear? Also what type of gear oil is used and what capacity does the transmission hold? Thanks in advance for you help on this!

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:49 pm

SC288 wrote:I am helping my Grandfather with his 66' Cub....we confirmed that it has a missing tooth on the reverse idler gear yesterday and know that we have to split the tractor to change it. We have the manual with directions on how to split the tractor etc. but I was wondering after the tractor is split if someone had step by step instructions on how to change the reverse idler gear? Also what type of gear oil is used and what capacity does the transmission hold? Thanks in advance for you help on this!

Use 8090W gear oil in your transmission.

Remove the small level plug on the left-lower side of the transmission housing as shown in the top photo here:

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gtr/case_001.htm

Fill the housing with gear oil until you see a flow of oil coming out of this check level plug. Reinstall this check level plug along with the fill plug on the top of the transmission housing and you are good to go.

Locations and How-to's:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=47391

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gtr/locations_001.htm

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 pm

don't know 'bout step by step instructions but just have at it and if ye get stumped ya can get answers here
get er done; life is good

Return to “Farmall Cub”