This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Broke a hard to find part.... FH lift rod for a Lo Boy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Broke a hard to find part.... FH lift rod for a Lo Boy

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Now I done it....Have been working the Lo Boy the last couple of days and a few minor glitches,but got a lot done. Perfect weather!

I broke it. Conditions were really optimal as far as most things, I was using the disc harrow close to home and was almost as done for the day, winter is coming and I have all the mowing done and best of all, I had a small audience. I suspect some of the things I have done the Fast Hitch 'fixed', like the York rake, scraper blade and disc harrow has taken it's toll. I try not to abuse equipment, but sometimes stuff happens.

At any rate, I am now on the lookout for another hard to find part... a Lo Boy Fast Hitch lift rod, ouch :cry: Anybody have a stray one kicking around the want to sell or trade??

My new pliers!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

XFARMA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03445
Tractors Owned: 41 H, 44 H, 47 Cub,57 Cub Loboy, 76 Cub,
47 BN, 50 SA demo,
50 C demo,
54 SC,59 240U,
Ford, 69 5000, 73 4000,75 2000, 70 4500TLB
73 JD 350B dozer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Broke a hard to find part.... FH lift rod for a Lo Boy

Postby XFARMA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Why not just weld it back together?
Member of Chapter 18

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Larry:

You can see where the original chip/crack was. You should be able to have that welded - especially by a good welder. A lot cheaper than trying to find a replacement. :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:20 pm

]I might have that rod. Would be from the same pile as the other hitch part. Check out old pictures from photo host. Might be the rod on the far right of picture.Image

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey BW,

Sorry to interject with a question but the lift rod (I'm assuming) is the rod that goes from the hydraulics just past the throttle and hydraulic lever to the rear and attaches to the fast hitch assembly raising it up and down (sorry for improper terminology). I've noticed that mine must be rubbing against the steering column (chaffed paint) under a decent load and have been worrying about it snapping as I've never seen it do this before. Did you notice anything like this with yours before it went. I simply don't know if it is wear and tear that I'm looking at or a weak link ready to go. Hope welding it is a good solution.
By the way, I still feel I owe you something for those carriage bolts. Got the wheel weights cleaned up and installed and the difference is noticeable. Been plowing up some good areas the past couple weekends. Can't wait till spring.
JL
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:
Sorry to interject with a question but the lift rod (I'm assuming) is the rod that goes from the hydraulics just past the throttle and hydraulic lever to the rear and attaches to the fast hitch assembly raising it up and down (sorry for improper terminology). JL

Yes, that is it. Some cubs in addition have the helper spring attachment also that mounts to the fender and hydraulic rockshaft.

If yours appears to be mishappen, it can be restraightened fairly easy.

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:24 am

muleboss wrote:]I might have that rod. Would be from the same pile as the other hitch part. Check out old pictures from photo host. Might be the rod on the far right of picture.Image

Here is a bigger picture, Bob (muleboss).

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:54 am

Yep Johnny, it is that rod. It should have factory bends in it and clear everything, but I probably over-tweaked it at the redoubt running it 'fixed' (lock block tight, no float) with the York rake and not quick enough on the TC when going up the grades (see below). That is where the rust shows on the pictures, it rubbed the steering tube. But didn't deform enough for me to straighten it. Going over the same ground Saturday (last picture) with the mower it just lifts up and continues on it's merry way. I needed pressure on the rake to make it work, came out pretty good!

Also Johnny, don't worry about the bolts, it all works out in the end.... glad you put em to good use. And Bear sent me the square head bolts for the front weights.... so I owed the 'Cub world' one kind favor.

For now, I will try to get it welded so I can get the disc back from the Salvation Army garden (what a mess! Sure needs a 'guiding hand') and sounds like I can find one thanks to fine members of the board. I thought it was forged and NOT repairable. I don't think I want to trust a repair as I do drive the Lo Boy over 3 miles back and forth to Ft Adams to mow...... hate to think of the mower just falling to the pavement on the trip :shock:

BTW, the fast hitch drop arm for the mower (first picture, where the PTO shaft it) was from MuleBoss a few years back. I have put it to good use. :{_}:

Edited, oops... should have been MULEBOSS on the part.
Last edited by Buzzard Wing on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ebax
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98349
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cubs (2)
Cub Cadet 124
Cub Cadet 782 (CCC1712)

Postby ebax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:41 pm

I saw the photo of the lift rod and realized that I may have one. It came with my '53 Cub. I always thought it was a home made part. I should go down to the barn and take a photo of it, but it's rainy day and I have a cold. If it indeed is one of these FH rods, I'm glad I saved it. Are they for Lo Boys only or does the F Cub use the same part? If there's a difference how would I identify what mine is? What are these things worth?

Ed
Two 1953 Cubs, 1948 Cub, 22 mower, Johnny Bucket & Blade
1968 Cub Cadet 124 and Cub Cadet 782, mower deck, rototiller, front blades

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm

ebax wrote:I saw the photo of the lift rod and realized that I may have one. It came with my '53 Cub. I always thought it was a home made part. I should go down to the barn and take a photo of it, but it's rainy day and I have a cold. If it indeed is one of these FH rods, I'm glad I saved it. Are they for Lo Boys only or does the F Cub use the same part? If there's a difference how would I identify what mine is? What are these things worth?

Ed, the lift rod for the loboy FH is different than the one for the regular cub FH. Post a picture when you can to verify the part and which tractor it goes on. Cost depends on condition.

If you have a 53' Cub, I don't think you have a loboy lift rod, maybe you have a FH helper spring assembly installed for a Cub??

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Gary,
Tractor and grounds look good. That rod in the picture looks like mine although it's yellow. So I guess mine is the proper shape. It just has that odd curve in it that I questioned however the symptoms you described (rubbing the steering arm) is what I've noticed. Oh well, at least you can have that one welded while your looking for a new one. I suppose that having one that is repaired is better than not having one at all. Good luck finding it.
Thanks again,
Johnny
Hey where's your shop located again?
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Larry,
Tim (tst) is making them for the regular Cub Fast Hitch, in fact he had them at Cecil's last month.
Check with him.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm

:sick: A new day and it's all looking better. I called an old friend that is a good welder and was a farmer, he said don't try to fix it. I thought a repair would hold me over till I got one, so I could at least fetch the harrow. Then I looked at it a little closer.... it will soon be yard art. A lot of 'fractures' in it that I can only guess where they came from. It's been sandblasted and painted, so did I miss it??

I am pretty lucky, it was going to fail, no better time and place then where it happened. I was pretty much finished for the day and the harrow is just around the corner.

A couple of great leads from board members on the part. Life is good!

BTW, both rods are ~54" BUT the Lo Boy one is a larger diameter, so the trunion etc are all different. Also the bends are different. The half painted one is for my 64 Cub (long story).

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

The Lo Boy's is .880" and Cub is .760"

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Larry-I have a repro Loboy(TM)lift rod you can borrow if you want to get it copied.Bought it several years ago for my 3-digit '55 Loboy that's still on the back burner.
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Return to “Farmall Cub”