This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A trailering

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donstractor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 94551

Farmall A trailering

Postby Donstractor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:53 am

[b]Hi everyone,
I recently joined this site because I have a Farmall A tractor. I am new to this hobby so I have a few questions. I am trying to trailer this tractor back to California. I am now looking for a trailer that will handle the tractor. Can I move the rear wheels inboard to accommodate the trailer rails? What is the normal width of the rear tires measured from the outside of the tires? How are these tractors trailered by the folks in the hobby? Thanks for responding.
Donstractor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Farmall A trailering

Postby Former Member » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 am

Don, the A is going to weigh between 2500 and 3000lb. Figure at least a 5x10 dual axle trailer with brakes. 6x12 or larger would be better.

I have a 6x21 home built trailer that I can haul 2 cubs and implements with. Seems you can never have enough room for everything.

Donstractor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donstractor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:11 am

Thanks Dale for the quick response. I had a question regarding moving the wheels inboard. Is that possible? Do folks use car transports? The two trailer sizes you mentioned do they have solid floors or ramps that the tractor would go up into?
Thanks,
Donstractor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 am

The rear wheels on an A should have a couple of inches of adjustment, but a lot of work to do it.

If you figure on 5' wide you will be fine, and you will find it hard to find a trailer that is long enough that is not wide enough.

Most pull their tractors with a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and a trailer with brakes and ramps.

Some folks use a U-Haul car trailer for occasional trips and to get a cub home. An A is bigger than a cub, so not sure that will work. I believe the U-haul has a solid floor, and ramps? Most of us with our own trailers have wood planks, pressure treated or oak.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 am

Where are you trailering it from?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

Back when I was renting the 6' x 12' dual axle UHaul utility trailer I was told they were rented for local use only, i.e. must be returned to the dealer that it was rented from. One dealer even indicated that it was to be used in-state only.
Not sure if this is still true or not, but worth asking UHaul.

UHaul 6'x12' Utility Trailer with Ramp

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 am

I know this trailer worked well for Peter for hauling Cubs. But, I would caution anyone looking to use it for a larger tractor to check the ramp width and max load.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Donstractor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donstractor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:51 am

The photos I have seen of A's look like the front wheels are wider than the back ones. If this is the case can anyone tell me what is the width of the front wheels measured from the outside of the tires.
Thanks,
Donstractor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I know this trailer worked well for Peter for hauling Cubs. But, I would caution anyone looking to use it for a larger tractor to check the ramp width and max load.

Good point Don, the total load capacity of the 6' x 12' Dual Axle Utility Trailer is only 2,110lbs, most likely less than a Farmall 'A' weighs.
Probably better off with a car trailer. A Cub needs to be widened out to fit on a car trailer, but an 'A' may be wide enough to fit on the wheel trays of a car trailer.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:28 pm

The fronts and backs are adjustable for width, but I wouldn't count on adjusting them (especially the fronts) very easliy. They have been know to be very stuck and people have needed hydraulic presses and a lot of time to get them apart.

Your first time, I would get a trailer that will fit your tractor and not count on making your tractor wheel width fit the trailer. That would really stink getting somewhere thinking you could adjust the wheel spacing and finding out everything is frozen up and your trailer doesn't work.

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I have a 16 foot dual axle car hauler that i haul my tractors on. Unfortunetly it does not have brakes but i hauled one of our a through the mountains on it behind my old half ton. I would get a trailer wide enough that you dont havevto modify the tractor.moving the wheels can be a pain.
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:34 pm

I just hauled my A home on my 18 foot 77 inches wide between fenders and had plenty of room to spare on both sides,--threw a couple of chains and binders on it and drove 75 to 80 down the interstate 50 miles home and had no problems behind a Ford F-350 1 ton dual wheel truck with the power joke diesel engine!---then went back and stuffed 2 ac tractors on and beat the storm home with them!---my trailer is rated at 7'000 pounds total and brakes on both axles! thanks; sonny

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am

Our TSC store rents new trailers by the 1/2 or full day. Full day for their large trailer is $29.99 and is big enough. It has surge brakes on it and is rated for 3500lb.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm

BigMatt wrote:The fronts and backs are adjustable for width, but I wouldn't count on adjusting them (especially the fronts) very easliy. They have been know to be very stuck and people have needed hydraulic presses and a lot of time to get them apart.

Your first time, I would get a trailer that will fit your tractor and not count on making your tractor wheel width fit the trailer. That would really stink getting somewhere thinking you could adjust the wheel spacing and finding out everything is frozen up and your trailer doesn't work.

This is a very strong point. This last tractor I picked up was set wide and I was sweating having to narrow the front. Fortunately it fit but just. I can speak from experience that when I went to narrow the front of my cub I went through every thing trying to free it up.
I got so frustrated I almost considered dynamite to break it free. :lol:
My trailer has a gross weight of 3500 lbs and a single axle. It did the 1 1/2 hr drive home but a duel axle trailer is whats needed. I took back roads and did plenty of praying. Too make matters worse I found that the lamps quit after a few miles. Seems they took a beating when I loaned the trailer to my brother in law. :roll:
Didn't notice they were out till I loaded the tractor and its was dark. A couple of light sticks was a poor excuse for trailer lamps but it got me home. I can see a duel axle trailer is in my future.
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”