This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Scratchin' in the ceiling! SNAP!!!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Scratchin' in the ceiling! SNAP!!!

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:53 am

When we were at Stonethrow, my daughter said she heard scratching noises in the ceiling of the family room. She said it sounded like something big was living up there and we should not be surprised if we found a big hole there when we got home. Well we got home and never gave it a thought since we never heard anything. Lately I have been hearing a lot of scratching above our bedroom and my home office. Sunday I had seen a mouse take off out of one of the empty dog food bags I had set with the trash. Time for immediate action. I was at home depot yesterday so I picked up a pack of four Victor snap traps. Always my weapon of choice in the fight against rodent crime.

About noon I methodically set those traps as well as another I already had. within an hour, SNAP!! (man those are loud on a concrete floor). Got him, but wait, the rest of the family surely moved in with him. I reset the trap and waited. Well, to clarify, I didn't sit by the trap and wait. I went to the barn and did some work. A couple hours later I went to the garage and, Bingo, there were two more ready to be tossed. I reset those and went on with what I was doing. Just after dinner I found another. WWhen I was locking up for the night I de=cided to make a pass through the garage. Three of those rascals had gone for their last supper. Seven mice within about nine hours, man I was really cleaning house.

This morning I took a stroll out to pick up my morning paper. As I passed through the garage I removed two more from their humble abode. It looks like breakfast didn't set to well with them. It seems we had a whole neighborhood of these beady eyed critters take up residence. I haven't heard any scratching so far today.

Remember, The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Scratchin' in the ceiling! SNAP!!!

Postby grumpy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

It's getting to be that time of the year when they look for warmer housing. I've noticed my cats are leaving a lot more "presents" for me. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:58 am

Same with me. Presents every day. I didn't appreciate the still-alive rabbit they brought upstairs to me while I was sleeping, and boy a rabbit has a shrill voice when it's been caught. But my 4 cats do OK, they have access to every crawl space, attic, cellar, every part of the barn, etc. Constantly "on patrol". We have actually had rats in this house, more than once, but as long as they're doing their job ...
Last edited by Bob Perry on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 pm

The mice didn't move across the road from the annex, did they? :shock: I'm sure it's warmer on your side of the street. 8)
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm

Denny, there are some bigger critters living in the annex from the trails I have seen. The mice may have packed their bags and came across the road. I have been working over there a couple hours a week and haven't seen any life yet.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

I did the same thing this week, I set some about 2 weeks ago and the mice were taking the cheese and not setting off the traps, so that gave me the hint they were small ones. Well I went a different route, I got 6 of those sticky traps and it only took me a night to get those 5 critters. I heard them all talking when they got stuck. I use cheese, frito's, and kit-kat bars to catch them. They all work great. My total is about 9 in the last 3 days, 4 in the shop and 5 inside in the kitchen.

That time a year for sure.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:22 pm

I have about 2 dozen of those Victor traps. I have no clue how they are getting into the house, but I know if there is a pencil sized hole in they will come. Not as dramatic as others, but over the last 2 weeks them Victors have caught 5 mice. One mouse I assume got bit in the butt cause it's head ended up in a trap on the other side of the door. That was weird, never saw that before. Winter is coming and the mice want warmth. I just don't want them in me house :!: Oh yeah, we used to use cheese but that didn't seem to entice the mice. Then we tried peanut butter -- works like a charm.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Jason (IL) wrote: I use cheese, frito's, and kit-kat bars to catch them.

I wouldn't waste a good Kit-Kat bar on a mouse. :D That reminds me, I better go check my Halloween stash

Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm

We had scratching over the bed room. I thought it too loud for mice. I figured squirrels were getting in the Mushroom fan on the roof. I remover the top, covered it with hardware cloth and replaced the top. Still scratching so I poured two boxes of camphor flakes through the mushroom fan. An hour or so later one of the neighbor kids called me to see the big creatures going out the attic side vent. 2 good sized racoons. I covered the vent with hardware cloth and no more scratching. The camphor really got to them for the were moving in slow motion leaving. We had a little camphor smell for a while but no scratching.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Bill,
I should add, they already somehow got into the Halloween candy, and yes it was Kit-Kats. So I broke up all the one they got into for bait. Oh well, got 2 more mice tonight while working, with Kit-Kats on the traps. HaHAHa.

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 am

A while back I had squirrels in my attic. I found where they had entered by chewing a small hole in the siding. I set a trap on top of a ladder (2nd level) next to the hole baited with peanut butter. That very day I caught a female and hauled her to another location. Reset the trap and got nothing. However 4-5 days later I was doing some work to soffits of the first level and heard something so carefully I opened one to find a baby whose eyes were barely open. It was a male so I kept him in a cat carrier feeding him peanut butter and water until he had hair and was eating nuts, I took the carrier outside, opened it and walked away. Later I checked and he was gone. About dark my cat was restless so I opened the door to see what was up and there was the squirrel. I got the cat carrier and put it down next to the little guy. He went right in and crawled under a rag I had put in with him when small. To make a long story short he became a pet that lived in the wild. I could go out and clap my hands and he would come through the trees and jump down on me looking for nuts. Eventually he became interested in girls I guess and he left, but for about 4 months he was a lot of fun. Drove my cat crazy. He would crawl all over me and my wife but would run from others. He grew up with us petting and playing with him daily.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:06 am

regwal wrote:...I found where they had entered by chewing a small hole in the siding...

I'm not so sure I would want to chew a hole in my ceiling to find out where they were coming in.

By the way, the scratching in my ceiling has finally stopped.

Circle of Safety

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155