This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Caster Wheels for Undermount Mowers

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Caster Wheels for Undermount Mowers

Postby Ironlegs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 am

I have used a Woods L59 undermount mower on a Super A for twenty years. The original set of mower "caster wheels" wore-out after about eighteen years of mowing about eight acres of rough grass and weeds. I was shocked at the prices of replacement OEM caster wheels...only hard rubber tires on sheet metal wheels...no caster forks, cross bolts, mounting brackets. Anyway, last summer, one of the friction nuts loosened on one of the new tires/wheels, the cross-bolt fell away and one new tire/wheel went under the deck while mowing and was destroyed. Facing the high cost of replacement again, I am searching for and considering all available alternatives. Do the Forum readers have any suggestions on replacement mower caster wheels?
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Caster Wheels for Undermount Mowers

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

They are only meant to used to keep the mower from bottoming out. They should not be run to hold the mower up, but rather about an inch or so off the ground. Use the hydraulics to hold the mower up, especially on rougher ground.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Re: Caster Wheels for Undermount Mowers

Postby Ironlegs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 am

Amen on the running height of the mower caster wheels...my property has a lengthy frontage on a tar and chip township road with very narrow gravel shoulders. Mowing the weeds on the eighteen inch wide shoulders necessitates running the wheel positioned over the pavement and on the surface which probably caused most of the tire wear. Eighteen years of use feels like reasonable service. I still have the worn caster wheels (which I used to get me through the remainder of the mowing season). The replacement wheels (Woods) were really nice looking and worked well...they're just so expensive that all alternatives must be pursued.
Ironlegs John

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”