This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smoke Detectors Flaw

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Smoke Detectors Flaw

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:23 am

In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Smoke Detectors Flaw

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

Jeff:

Thanks for that. I have Ionization detectors on all 3 floors. Guess I might have to add the PET or Photo Electric Technology as well. Since we burn wood to heat our house, this is only common sense. Thanks for pointing out the weak points of Ionization, I appreciate it a lot :D

As a parent of 5 my heart goes out to that Mom who lost 4 of her kids to the fire. How does one recover from that :shock: :cry:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Smoke Detectors Flaw

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 pm

About 30 years ago when I was working in our telephone toll center one of the guys was running a 14 gauge power lead and accidentally got it against the powerbus.In about 5 0or 10 seconds it filled the entire room with thick black smoke. Our safety crew got all bent out of shape when they learned the smoke detectors didn't go off. After some testing they determined the particles in the smoke produced by the burning wire insulation were to large to get into the openings in the cell of the detector. They supposedly solved the problem by putting up another type of detector in addition to the originals. It has been so long ago I do not remember which type was which.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Safety Forum”