Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Just about each year at this time, I renovate either a pasture or hay field. If I am lucky, I try to start disking just after a rain. The fairly hard turf land seems to work better with a lot of moisture. After disking it two or three times without a drag (or until I get tired of disking), I then disk and drag it to smooth out the soil. By the way this year my neighbor let me borrow his 383 Massey and an 8 foot Tuffline wheel disk. Nice setup!

I have used mostly for a drag a medium size utility pole. This year the neighbor's came with a 10 foot heavy duty angle iron as a drag. I have never been satified with either method as a drag. I can never get it as smooth as I would like. The grass clumps that are turned up never seem to go back down in the ground.

What are some of the drags that you use to smooth behind a disk harrow? I know that soil condition and type surely make a difference. When I was growing up, my dad and g'father made a flat bottom drag from sawmill oak. It was as wide as it needed to be and 3-4' deep with the front board turned up at a 45 deg. angle. As I recall, it did a great job.
1947 Cub S/N 9216 (My Dad's "Uncle Bob")

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give......Winston Churchill
BIGHOSS
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216 w/ C-22 Mower & C-144 Cultivator

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dragging behind a Disk Harrow

Postby jwl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 am

A piece of good chain link fence, not that junk they sell at Menard's, with a plank on top at the front and back works pretty nice.
jwl
Cub Star
Cub Star

Zip Code: 52738

Postby Tezell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am

I have a piece of 4" steel pipe with a 5 foot section of railroad iron bolted to it for wieght. It does an excellent job.
"I ain't believing this!"
Tezell
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 51 Cub
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Dale" 53 Cub Fast Hitch
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Elmore"71 Cub
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Ugly" 75 Cub
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Circle of Safety Award

Postby v w » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 am

We used to use just a regular spring tooth drag but it had been plowed before disk and drag so clumps would not be as big a problem This was done generaly when turning under an old hay sod. The spring tooth was set shallow. It's intent was to smooth the soil not bury weeds. Vern
v w
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Other Tractors and Machinery